256 replies to this topic

#61 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1306 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

I agree. Zero atmosphere or audience reaction.. Before.. During it after.

After all these years in the planning.. What have they been doing on this? The book is a mess.. The production uninspired, and in Fitzgerald, the most underwhelming lead performance I've seen in a long time. The book just isn't interesting or good enough. I'm assuming its an interesting story, but not In this version it's not. There's no real sense of spectacle or circus and its totally lacking in ANY razzle dazzle.

Some bright moments of staging and choreography lift things but the whole thing feels undercooked. Also, the sound is awful. And no attempt to disguise the fact the entire chorus during one of the biggest numbers (Come Follow the band) is click tracked.. It just sounds small and tinny and then Christopher Fitzgerald is unintelligible throughout. He's also what is majorly wrong with it, there's no central star performance. He's fine.. But that's not enough. Nancy Carroll rises above the material but again, it's not enough to lift the show. I liked Anna O Byrne.. Sang beautifully and looked pretty as a picture.

Of course there will be people who like it and certainly at the interval some ladies beside us were saying how wonderful it was, but I suspect they like anything if its on stage in Chichester. This just isn't good enough to bring into town and they shouldn't. I'd be amazed if it gets anything like the praise of Sweeney or Singin.

#62 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

The story has always been weak and doesnt sound like they have changed much

#63 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1306 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

They must have cut that 'stunning duet' !! I didn't see it.. Unless I was looking at my watch.

#64 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1306 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

On a positive note... The theatre /tent itself is great.. Huge congratulations must go to the people who made it happen.. If only Pippin was in it!

#65 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

Did Fitzgerald succeed in his tightrope walk on the night you saw it, MrBarnaby?

#66 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

It'd be a huge embarrassment for Cameron Mackintosh and CFT for it not to transfer into town but I think if it does then it'll be a short run.

#67 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

Have to unfortuntely echo the negative comments, lack of spectacle, lack of engaging book, lack of a charismatic leading man, who did at least manage the tightrope at today's matinee. No way could this successfully transfer to the West End in its current form. The tent, however, is magnificent.
www.frontrowdress.com

#68 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

Production photos have been released
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#69 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

Link ?

#70 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

Well here's the thing. Genuinely I tried to attach a link but as the came through via my Facebook account I couldn't. There were 12 in total so then I thought I'd just download them individually and attach them. If anyone an offer assistance with this process, I'll happily upload them this afternoon.
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users