29 replies to this topic

#1 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

Anybody seeing this in the coming week? I will be seeing it next Wednesday so I will report back.

Looking forward to seeing Alex Waldmann as Bertram. He is definitely on a roll this season. Don't know what to expect from Jonathan Slinger as Parolles.

According to Facebook it looks as if the RST company are continuing their use of the sprinklers:

"The All's Well cast are escaping the hot weather during Technical Rehearsals with pouring rain on-stage."
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#2 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

Looks like this production is as buzz-free as Hamlet was. Interested to hear what you think.

#3 TheatreMadGoer

TheatreMadGoer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

Supposed to be going tomorrow night for first preview but not sure yet

#4 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

Saw this Saturday night. A solid production, but not my favourite Shakespeare play. Waldmann is very good. I like Slinger and once again enjoyed a Jonathan Slinger performance in Stratford. Some of the accents were funny, it went a bit 'allo 'allo at time, but it all ended well in the end. (Did that need a spoiler?)

#5 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

A rave review from Billington in the Guardian -

http://www.guardian....nds-well-review

with an excellent slip into self-parody near the end ....

In that moment, there is an echo of Tyrone Guthrie's great 1959 production. Meckler's version may not supplant that in my affections, but it is mature, wise and, in the climactic reconciliation, achieves a heart-stopping magic

Thanks Mike, I'll just step into my time machine and check that one out
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#6 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

View Postxanderl, on 28 July 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

A rave review from Billington in the Guardian -

http://www.guardian....nds-well-review

with an excellent slip into self-parody near the end ....

[/size]

Thanks Mike, I'll just step into my time machine and check that one out
Also 5* in the Telegraph I see - pity that it seems the RSC's long-suffering London audience aren't getting a look at this one (no announcement about their Roundhouse residency this year). I suppose Mikey delved so far back in his memory simply to deliver his customary slight to Trevor Nunn whose later production of this play was just about the best thing I've ever seen, received universal acclaim, and was so brilliant that (almost incredibly) it transferred to Broadway.

#7 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

Good point about the Roundhouse - I thought they'd agreed a multi-year deal on that

Edited to add ...

http://www.rsc.org.u...ss-release.aspx

Yes they did. Michael Boyd indulged his fascination with all things Russian by announcing a five year plan.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#8 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

View Postxanderl, on 29 July 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

Yes they did. Michael Boyd indulged his fascination with all things Russian by announcing a five year plan.
Yes the agreement is supposedly still in place but seems to have been quietly forgotten in the hoopla surrounding their Barbican return, normally they are desperately plugging the Roundhouse residency by this stage. Of course their agreement with Delfont Mackintosh is also supposedly still in effect too, I remember Boyd proclaiming that the Roundhouse arrangement would run in parallel to that. At the moment all I'm getting from them is "Only X more chances to see Hamlet ..." as presumably they have seats in all parts for that one. Well, maybe it will turn up in London but one wonders how much longer they will be able to attract even the level of actor they do now without a London showing - obviously it's part of the deal with David Tennant.

#9 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

Being somewhat nervous about La Meckler, I hadn't booked this.  I've just bought four tickets for Wednesday night, and it looks like it's selling very well: I'm making my first foray into the Upper Circle, because there aren't a lot of contiguous tickets left elsewhere.

#10 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

Igb,  seeing this later in the year. I was also reluctant re Meckler but it is rare op to see this play. Let's hope this finally bonks on the head with a wooden stave that terrible R&J :-))

Also tagged with RSC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users