1 reply to this topic

#1 bingomatic

bingomatic

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

Although it seems trivial to discuss the play itself given the tragedy of what happened to Paul Bhattacharje, I'm sure that as a professional actor he's wishing the rest of group all the best.

Has anyone else seen it ?  I saw it on Tuesday night and was aware Paul had gone missing but not that his body had been found.

I thought the play itself was brilliant.  Despite the disruption that must have been felt by the cast I thought they performed admirably.  A lovely balance of humour and the darker side of family life.

The fight scene between the two brothers was probably a bit unecessary but overall it was one of my highlights of the last few months.

#2 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

I saw Talk Show last night (Thursday), the first since the tragic news. Theatre ushers handed the arriving audience printed slips saying that after much discussion the company had decided that they wished to continue with that evening's performance as planned in order to honour Paul Bhattacharjee's memory. The performance was therefore dedicated to him.

The actors played brilliantly throughout with no apparent shade of the tragedy. Paul's character, in his single scene, sits holding a two-metre long live snake, draped across his shoulders, and feeds it a dead mouse. The snake passes to Jonjo O'Neill's character, who delights in thrusting its head towards Paul's unconcerned character's face several times without warning. Some later scenes resonated powerfully with some aspects of the tragedy, and thoughts of Paul's final moments mixed with the impact of the play. However, the actors truly honoured him by giving us their full production of the play with no compromises in light of the tragic circumstances.

The curtain call was extraordinarily emotional as the actors could release themselves from their character and open themselves to the tragedy. I had a strong experience of Paul passing on the acting baton through this performance. For example, Ryan Sampson and Paul had shared the same three plays in this Weekly Rep season, with Ryan leading both Pigeons three weeks ago and Talk Show this week. And last night I sat just one row behind a young actor, commencing their final BA Acting year after the summer, who watched the whole show attentively and appreciatively. Last night's performance truly honoured Paul's memory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users