#1 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:47 AM

I saw Punchdrunk's Faust tonight for the fourth (and sadly last) time. I'm too tired to say much but will add more thoughts later, I just wanted to say: who else loves the show? I honestly think it's the most genuinely EXCITING theatrical experience I've ever had.
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#2 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:50 AM

I've been lucky enough to see some incredible shows over the past 35-40 years, and I can't place my hand on my heart and say that Faust is the best thing ever. But it's up there with the leading pack, and that's saying something.

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#3 Marcus

Marcus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:46 AM

I went to see Faust, truely an extrodinary evening. Totally bizzare yet captivating, a theatrical experience I won't forget in a long time. Not entirely sure what its all about but I think thats how your supposed to feel!

#4 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE(Job @ Mar 18 2007, 09:50 AM) View Post
I've been lucky enough to see some incredible shows over the past 35-40 years, and I can't place my hand on my heart and say that Faust is the best thing ever. But it's up there with the leading pack, and that's saying something.

Job

Well, yes, I was perhaps going a little OTT with the best thing ever thing! There are definitely things I would say I've seen that are better (in my 4 short years of obsessive theatregoing!) but it's definitely the thing I have most enjoyed. I'm also pleased to know that you would class it as among your leading pack after so many years of seeing great things!   biggrin.gif

#5 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:00 PM

I'm a bit claustrophobic so I couldn't go to see this but everyone I know who's seen it raved.  sad.gif

#6 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE(Skylight @ Mar 18 2007, 01:00 PM) View Post
I'm a bit claustrophobic so I couldn't go to see this but everyone I know who's seen it raved.  sad.gif

Ohhh no, you silly! I'm quite claustrophobic and I was fine - the mask is surprisingly comfortable, which was my biggest worry going in, and the lift is the only confined space and you're in it for about 2 minutes. A few random members of the audience end up being taken alone down dark narrow tunnels, but the actors look after you really well and it's brief and all wonderfully atmospheric. I was freaking out a bit when being taken down a narrow passage (oh my) with no lights, and the actor gave me a little shoulder massage to calm me down. How claustrophobic are you, what kind of situations?

Basically what I'm trying to say is NOOO YOU MUST STILL SEE IT.  sad.gif  It's sold out in theory but more tickets keep popping up.

#7 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:29 PM

Well I can do normal stuff like lifts but I've had problems in narrow passage ways and  tunnels in old buildings (twice) and I can't go in any space that isn't wide enough for me to stretch my arms out, especially if it's below ground (though weirdly I have no problem travelling cattle class on the tube).  I'd like to see it in theory but I don't want to end up having to come out. unsure.gif

#8 smith

smith

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE(josh @ Mar 18 2007, 01:47 AM) View Post
I saw Punchdrunk's Faust tonight for the fourth (and sadly last) time. I'm too tired to say much but will add more thoughts later, I just wanted to say: who else loves the show? I honestly think it's the most genuinely EXCITING theatrical experience I've ever had.

It is absolutely the most fantastic and exciting thing I've ever seen. Have only been once, but my goodness me it was good. Having my nails done while being straddled by a girl in the beauty parlour (nice!), dancing at the Walpurgisnacht celebrations, having Mephistopheles tickle the back of my neck as I looked into one of the rooms - AMAZING! And the "ending" down in the basement was just stunning. Loved every minute of it. You say that there are often tickets popping up? I may try and see it again. Simply cannot wait for The Red Death, I will go and see it wherever it is on.

And Josh, I'm assuming you're the same Josh who's been posting on the "Punchdrunk Lovers" group on Facebook?!!  wink.gif

#9 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:58 AM

With productions like this I sometimes find the process of exploring the different rooms etc can compensate for any shortcomings of the actual show. I saw a preview and it was good, but on balance I think I probably enjoyed just the roaming-around aspect of it more than the performance element, but that's okay, I don't mind that. I had intended to revisit it towards the end of the run but it hasn't happened, unfortunately.

It reminded me a lot of the DreamThinkSpeak thing at Somerset House in 2004, Don't Look Back, but I preferred that. However, I'm glad I went to Faust, it was a great experience. I had to take the mask off from time to time, though, it got very uncomfortable.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#10 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE(smith @ Mar 18 2007, 10:50 PM) View Post
It is absolutely the most fantastic and exciting thing I've ever seen. Have only been once, but my goodness me it was good. Having my nails done while being straddled by a girl in the beauty parlour (nice!), dancing at the Walpurgisnacht celebrations, having Mephistopheles tickle the back of my neck as I looked into one of the rooms - AMAZING! And the "ending" down in the basement was just stunning. Loved every minute of it. You say that there are often tickets popping up? I may try and see it again. Simply cannot wait for The Red Death, I will go and see it wherever it is on.

And Josh, I'm assuming you're the same Josh who's been posting on the "Punchdrunk Lovers" group on Facebook?!!  wink.gif

Hehe, I was also straddled by the beauty parlour girl, she only gave me a massage though! Ohh yes the Walpurgis Night dance is one of my favourite scenes, just stunning. I love the ending too, have seen it seven times from a different angle each time and every single time i have been absolutely mesmerised. I hope you get to see it again!

Yup, that is me!!! Can you tell I'm a bit obsessed?

Also, Backdrifter, returns do pop up on the website if you would like to return!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users