30 replies to this topic

#11 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:43 AM

I disagree with Josh about the claustrophobia. It is a really intense factor in the experience - particularly until you get your bearings (and that takes some doing!). I took my teenage daughter and she was frantic with claustrophobia for the first hour. Skylight would almost certainly have had issues with it.

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#12 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE(Job @ Mar 20 2007, 08:43 AM) View Post
I disagree with Josh about the claustrophobia. It is a really intense factor in the experience - particularly until you get your bearings (and that takes some doing!). I took my teenage daughter and she was frantic with claustrophobia for the first hour. Skylight would almost certainly have had issues with it.

Job

I don't know, I mean...isn't claustrophobia caused by being in a confined/narrow space? I can see how being inside Faust could be very frightening, disorienting etc, until you've got your bearings, but was it really because of claustrophobia? I'm sorry that that happened to your daughter though...maybe i am interpreting claustrophobia all wrong! i guess if you don't know where you are in some of those dark spaces...

As long as you don't get off on one of the top two floors then I think you should be fine!
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#13 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:02 AM

QUOTE(Job @ Mar 20 2007, 08:43 AM) View Post

Job

Yikes I don't know whether to get a return or not now.  blink.gif   At the risk of making myself sound like a total weirdo  unsure.gif , I have classic claustrophobia (so have members of my family so blame the genes  rolleyes.gif  ) that manifests itself in confined/narrow spaces (nothing to do with the dark or the intensity of the experience) and I certainly wouldn't stay somewhere for an hour after becoming claustrophobic (you'd be lucky to see me after 30 seconds if I could get out) so I suspect I may not be the same as your daughter.  Just out of interest, did she think it was worth it?

#14 Trev

Trev

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:37 AM

Skylight, sorry to put a downer on this, as it really is a superb theatrical experience, but the first time I went with a friend who isn't normally oppressed by spaces, confinement or any other phobia, and the bad news is he had to leave after about an hour of "please can we go now". I got the impression that it was having to wear a mask that he found particularly disturbing and disorientating. I have subsequently been back twice but I really do think that a claustrophobic would have problems with the confined spaces and darkness particularly in the first 20 minute introduction in the lift. IF you can get over this you will have a great time - just tell yourself that NOBODY has died (so far) during the run!

#15 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE(Trev @ Mar 21 2007, 10:37 AM) View Post
Skylight, sorry to put a downer on this, as it really is a superb theatrical experience, but the first time I went with a friend who isn't normally oppressed by spaces, confinement or any other phobia, and the bad news is he had to leave after about an hour of "please can we go now". I got the impression that it was having to wear a mask that he found particularly disturbing and disorientating. I have subsequently been back twice but I really do think that a claustrophobic would have problems with the confined spaces and darkness particularly in the first 20 minute introduction in the lift. IF you can get over this you will have a great time - just tell yourself that NOBODY has died (so far) during the run!

Err, I think you mean 2 minute introduction in the lift! Not 20 at all!

#16 Trev

Trev

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:38 PM

Sorry for the confusion. I meant "in the lift and after...."

#17 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1780 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:49 PM

Skylight, I'm finding that peculiar cantering green slug-with-legs thing of yours strangely disturbing. Not that you should care about that, but does it have any rational explanation, please?

#18 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:24 AM

Errrrrr so I saw Faust again.
It is just pure magic.

#19 cupcake

cupcake

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:15 AM

i cannot tell you how much i loved this production. Although I did find the mask slightly claustrphobic to start with, the rest was fine. I think you'd be fine Skylight and if it gets to much for you, you can have a break in the bar and go back in if and when you feel ready. I don't think you should miss you on the experience!

(I have to agree with Alexandra about the green slug with legs.. disturbing yes but also slightly endearing!)

#20 smith

smith

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE(cupcake @ Mar 28 2007, 11:15 AM) View Post
i cannot tell you how much i loved this production. Although I did find the mask slightly claustrphobic to start with, the rest was fine. I think you'd be fine Skylight and if it gets to much for you, you can have a break in the bar and go back in if and when you feel ready. I don't think you should miss you on the experience!

(I have to agree with Alexandra about the green slug with legs.. disturbing yes but also slightly endearing!)

I find Backdrifter's picture quite disturbing too...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users