9 replies to this topic

#1 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

Is there already a thread for this? If so apologies, will merge if you tell me where it is!

Anyway, nice production, played very a la Globe, lots of laughs which struck me as probably very authentic as after all it is the juxtaposition of the comedy and tragedy within the same play that the classicists didn't like. I liked one or two of the details, such as the third murderer, Macbeth's servant, killing the other two as it was always a puzzle as to who he was or why a third murderer was necessary. And the play between Banquo and Fleance, all good stuff. A good porter at the gate though quite sure it is still unfathomable by most of any modern audience. This isn't being posey cos I had to read it up too! Not totally convinced by Macbeth but def by Lady M. To be absolutely honest I didn't go for the Witches tho they were played well. Having seen the way it was done in the RSC Slinger production where they found some way of interpreting Witches that was scary for a modern audience, in fact chilling, prancing about with pretend toads ain't gonna do it for me.

Some appalling behaviour - someone filming Macbeth near the end, quite blatently holding up a phone for all to see. So why, I wonder didn't this person see that no one else was doing it? People in and out all the time...so it's the Globe.

#2 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:26 AM

I wish someone had the courage to just cut the porter. I notice this one (Bette Bourne) has a new costume for the jig but doesn't actually join in it, or didn't when I saw it

#3 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:37 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 22 July 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

I wish someone had the courage to just cut the porter. I notice this one (Bette Bourne) has a new costume for the jig but doesn't actually join in it, or didn't when I saw it
Bette Bourne ? Oh no - always unfunny - I think he gets cast because theatrical-insider types find his shtick amusing, however audiences don't.

#4 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

I found this very bland to be honest - nothing wrong with the acting but it just seemed the typical Globe production. Lots of music  - too much at times, actors walking through the audience, some audience interaction, half hearted comedy 'business'. That's my fifth or sixth Globe production now and though they've all been quite pleasant nothing really ever stands out.

It didn't help being in a seat which I'm surprised the Globe have the cheek to sell at full price when a pillar blocked the front centre of the stage and being right by one of the entrances so I found watching the activites of the Stasi in tabards and the inevitable (for a hot day) stream of groundlings having to leave or being taken out more interesting.

#5 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 22 July 2013 - 06:37 AM, said:

Bette Bourne ? Oh no - always unfunny - I think he gets cast because theatrical-insider types find his shtick amusing, however audiences don't.
  He is a Queer Icon and as such is beyond criticism though he's also a Really Terrible Actor. But I've never seen a Porter I didn't want to drown (the one at Ken's production was also about as funny as typhoid)

#6 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

Not seen it. Bette Bourne is a natural casting of the Porter - directly addressing the audience and doesn't give a f*** what people think of him. Which is why we love him.

#7 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 22 July 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

Not seen it. Bette Bourne is a natural casting of the Porter - directly addressing the audience and doesn't give a f*** what people think of him. Which is why we love him.
Funnily enough, when I pay to see a show, I have this eccentric idea that actors might actually want me to enjoy myself. But that's just me...

#8 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

Aye, 'tis but thee, though skin be leather'd shell.

#9 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

I don't love him. I think he's rubbish.

#10 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

Thought I recognised him. Played a blinder on Saturday raising a finger to passing aeroplane. So many planes, he prob does this every show. Don't cut the porter!

Also tagged with the Globe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users