#21 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE(siobhan @ Mar 20 2007, 11:39 PM) View Post
I thought Kaisa Hummerland who is the understudy for Sally Bowles was awful. sorry.
After all the praise she got on this site when AMM got a throat infection, I got balcony tickets to see her.
Dear God, She forgot her lines during 'Perfectly marvellous' and I much prefered Anna Maxwell martin who sang clearer as far as I'm concerned.

If you're going to slag her off, at least get her name right! She's called Kaisa Hammarlund!

#22 siobhan

siobhan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:50 PM

Kaisa Whatever.
Don't be so pedantic.
Don't dream it..be it!

#23 dallasanta

dallasanta

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:11 PM

The first time I saw Les Mis in London, Elinor Collett was the understudy for Fantine, and MY GOD! She was absolutely FAB! (OK, I admit that Fantine is my favourite character, but nonetheless) At first I was a little bit dissapointed that Carmen Cusack wasn´t on, but Eli really blew me away. The rest of the cast was just horrible, but I can´t really blame them, it was just before the cast change and everybody was just phoning in their performance.

btw, did anybody see the swedish ESC-star Carola Häggkvist when she played Fantine (I think it was in 2002 or 03) for 8 performances when Carmen was in China? I would love to hear about her performance since I wasn´t there to witness it.

#24 frontofdahouze

frontofdahouze

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:17 AM

[What are the best understudies we've seen? I saw a great one on for Anna Maxwell-Martin as Sally Bowles in Cabaret recently.
[/quote]

Kaisa! Yes I completely agree. She's brilliant! To say that Anna sings clearer than her is just a weird?. Siobhan you must be deaf..
Saw her in Sunday in the park w george too and she can definitely sing. Her Sally Bowles rocks!

#25 JulieJordan

JulieJordan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:11 AM

Best- Jeff Nicholson as Javert in Les Mis. Hopefully he'll be the principal for a lead role in a show very soon.

#26 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:26 AM

The best Velma I have ever seen in Chicago was... and don't shoot me... Vanessa Leigh Hicks.  Mind you, this was when the show opened back in 1997.  From what I've seen of her since, I think it's best she gave Chicago a break.

#27 Niall

Niall

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:14 PM

Vanessa Leagh Hicks is the best Velma!! I've seen her loads over the years!! I thing she was brilliant every time i saw her!! Its a pity they didnt give her the role for longer after she left, rather than just two weeks!! Hopefully she'll be back soon!! In the meantime I have a nice DVD of her playing Velma!!
Vanessa Rocks!!!! smile.gif

#28 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE(siobhan @ Mar 21 2007, 06:50 PM) View Post
Kaisa Whatever.
Don't be so pedantic.

Right, Slobhen. Or are you really Jade Goody?
Ooh, that Bernadette Shaw - what a chatterbox!

#29 siobhan

siobhan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:28 PM

It's as simple as this:
You liked her
I didn't
Get over it.
Don't dream it..be it!

#30 Piglet

Piglet

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:46 PM

I'm with Siobhan. It's a tricky name to spell, especially here where spelling and grammar aren't that important. As for claiming it's a racist thing - how absurd. My surname is of Scottish descent, no one can spell it correctly. I don't see this as a vitriolic racial slur against the Scots. I don't think anyone does.
I was not a fan of Kaisa Hammarlund. But then, I consider Anna Maxwell Martin's performance spot on. Moving, believable, watchable, energetic, funny. The best actress in a musicall this year (if we're considering acting rather than singing, but then 'best actress' does rather suggest that.) Kaisa Hammarlund was too polished, too perfect. Marvellous performer and then, bang, snivelling wreck. No continuity, no depth and fairly unbelievable. But then I do think that of Liza Minelli who was just plain wrong in the film. Oscar for performance aside, she got the part wrong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users