chocchipcookie26

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

Matt McKenna - U/S Emmett in Legally Blonde
Absolutely brilliant
From what i've seen on youtube, (haven't seen Alex on stage), i prefer his voice, and the way he plays Emmett more shy and sweet

Sondheim <3

#272 Minsky

Minsky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:28 PM

I love Alexis Owen Hobbs when she takes over a role.

I loved her Roxie, thought she was far better than the people she was covering, at least she could do the cartwheels!

I recently saw her as Nickie in Sweet Charity and again she was excellent.  Her dancing is without compare.  

When is someone going to give this lovely lady the lead she deserves?

#273 LaurenL

LaurenL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:13 PM

James Winter as Bob Gaudio in Jersey Boys. Wouldn't notice he was an understudy if i hadn't seen it in the programme.

#274 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE(LaurenL @ Sep 1 2010, 03:13 PM) View Post
James Winter as Bob Gaudio in Jersey Boys. Wouldn't notice he was an understudy if i hadn't seen it in the programme.

I do love James as Gaudio, my favourite will always be Kieran Jae, but James runs a very close second
Chasing the music, trying to get home.......
Seeee ya George..... See ya sunshine.... w****nker!
I hate you! You're a b*stard! ..... Ohhhhhh sh*t!
I've seen the real world from my caravan window...... and they can keep it!

West End: - Jersey Boys x 179 - Billy Elliot x 52 - All The Fun Of The Fair x 40 - WWRY x 7 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory x 6 - Rock Of Ages x 6 - Legally Blonde x 6 - Avenue Q x 5  -  Mamma Mia x 5 - Les Miserables x 3 - Oliver! x 3 - Dirty Dancing x 3 - Book Of Mormon x 2 - The Commitments x 2 - Blood Brothers x 2 - Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert x 2 - Dreamboats & Petticoats x 2 - The Fantasticks x 1 - Grease x 1 - Thriller: Live x 1 - Shout x 1 - Wet Weather Cover x 1 - The Woman In Black x 1 - Tap Dogs x 1 - Sister Act x 1 - Wicked x 1 - Hamlet x 1 - Flashdance x 1 - Love Never Dies x 1 - Shrek: The Musical x 1 - Ghost Stories x 1 - Lend Me A Tenor x 1 - Ghost: The Musical x 1 - Cool Hand Luke x 1 - Backbeat x 1 - Crazy For You x 1 - Singing In The Rain x 1 - Our Boys x 1 - Seussical x 1 - Tailor Made Man x 1 - Merrily We Roll Along x 1 - Once: The Musical x 1 - I Can't Sing x 1

Broadway: - Jersey Boys x 2 - Anything Goes x 1 - Priscilla QOTD x 1 - Memphis x 1 - Mary Poppins x 1

Off Broadway: - Rent x 1 - Avenue Q x 1

Fringe: - Bent x 2 - Bright Lights, Big City x 1 - Salad Days x 1 - Ordinary Days x 1 - Company x 1 - Thrill Me x 2 (1 x Tristan Bates, 1 x New Players/Charing X Theatre) - Jest End x 1 - Doctor Faustus x 1 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered x 1 - The Hothouse x 1

Tour: - Evita x 2 (Bromley) - Blood Brothers x 1 (Coventry) - Monkee Business x 1 (Manchester) - Jesus Christ Superstar (O2 London) x 1

Regional: - Sound Of Music (Stevenage) x 1 - Cinderella (Liverpool) x 1 - Aladdin (Milton Keynes) x 1 - Cinderella (Watford) x 1

#275 ptwest

ptwest

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:06 PM

A few come to mind...

Alexandra Jay in My Fair Lady at the National
Fiona Reyes as the Narrator in Joseph at the Adelphi.
Margaret Preece as Mother Superior in SOM -(although she did take over the role eventually)

I am sure there are more, but cant think right now. Often I would rather see the understudy rather than the "name", especially if that name is stunt casting.

#276 BillyE

BillyE

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:54 AM

QUOTE(ptwest @ Oct 5 2010, 09:06 PM) View Post
A few come to mind...

Alexandra Jay in My Fair Lady at the National
Fiona Reyes as the Narrator in Joseph at the Adelphi.
Margaret Preece as Mother Superior in SOM -(although she did take over the role eventually)

I am sure there are more, but cant think right now. Often I would rather see the understudy rather than the "name", especially if that name is stunt casting.

Weren't these all "alternates" rather than understudies, with a scheduled performance (or two) each week?  I think there's a lot to be sad for the practice of using alternates.  Generally, if the principal is indisposed you get somebody who's familiar with the role and had a good take on the part as they play in regularly.  Kate Graham, who was the alternate Mrs Wilkinson in Billy Elliot, and subsequently played the role during Jo Riding's maternity leave, was another example of a fabulous alternate.

#277 BillyE

BillyE

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:55 AM

Double post, sorry.

#278 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE(BillyE @ Oct 6 2010, 06:54 AM) View Post
Weren't these all "alternates" rather than understudies, with a scheduled performance (or two) each week?

Alexandra Jay started out as first cover for Eliza Dolittle. The concept of an alternate was introduced to the show when it transferred to Drury Lane.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#279 ultimatetheatrefan

ultimatetheatrefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

Jonathan Williams as Jean Valjean!!

Really impressed by his performance!
Hasa diga eebowai

#280 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

Tricia Adele Turner is a fabulous Killer Queen in We Will Rock You. smile.gif She stumbled over a line, but she has a lovely voice, great stage presence and looked stunning in the costumes.

I've been back to the show 4 times since Brenda joined the cast and have seen 3 different understudies instead!

I've probably said this before, but if you like Oliver! and have the chance to catch Sabrina Carter as Nancy, please do. To me she is PERFECT in the role. Amazing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users