• This topic is locked This topic is locked
295 replies to this topic

#291 RaminFan

RaminFan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:15 PM

I saw Scott Garnham as Marius on Saturday. He was outstanding! One of the best I've seen in a long time - and I've seen a few. His rendition of Empty Chairs had a power that has definitely been lacking in recent years and his acting was so truthful. Can't wait to see his Enjolras.

#292 rwf

rwf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:53 PM

I think  Stevie Hutchinson as Tony in Billy Elliot (2nd u/s) deserves a mention as well. I have no idea how often he gets to go on, but he was great!

#293 Hanzicles

Hanzicles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:00 PM

I saw the recent Blood Brothers tour last week and ended up with four understudies.

Apparently Niki Evans was ill the day I went, so in her place we had Tracy Spencer who usually plays Mrs Lyons. She was absolutely sensational with one heck of a voice. I know they turn the mics up for certain songs to give it more power but I definitely don't think she needed it!  She looked 'right' for the part too - the right age. She was somewhere in the middle - not too old and not too young. I know that if you cast an older woman she won't necessarily look right for the younger Mrs. J. and vice versa, but Tracy fitted the role perfectly. Her acting was stunning, no accent problems as she comes from Liverpool anyway, and she had me in floods come 'Tell Me It's Not True'.

In the role of Mrs Lyons we had Joanne Dalladay who I think is usually Donna Marie, so quite a jump role wise. She has an absolutely beautiful voice and I found it a shame that she only sang during 'My Child', and with the rest of the cast in 'Tell Me It's Not True'...actually, there was one moment during TMINT where she could be heard over everyone else - including Mrs. J. Her acting was brilliant, and she definitely warmed into the character as the show went on. She had a lovely way of with Eddie and was fantastic in the scenes where she'd gone 'mad'.

For whatever reason, we also had an understudy on for the Narrator, who was instead played by Tim Churchill (usually Mr. Lyons) again - absolutely brilliant. He was creepy and sinister enough with a very powerful voice that sounded amazing with Tracy's. Very deserving of the position of 1st u/s and would be fantastic playing the role full time.

The understudy for Mr. Lyons was very good too, though as a much smaller role I don't remember much about him. All in all though an absolutely brilliant cast who put on an incredibly moving, stellar performance.

#294 sparkles123

sparkles123

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:06 PM

My favourite understudies are:

Jonathon Williams as Val Jean
Scott Monello as Frankie Valli
Suzie McAdam as Vivienne!

All 3 are more than worthy of the lead.
The 39 Steps||Avenue Q||Betty Blue Eyes||Billy Elliot||Blithe Spirirt||Blood Brothers||Cabaret||Chicago||Dirty Dancing||End Of The Rainbow||Flare Path||Flashdance||Ghost||Hair||Hairspray||Jersey Boys||Legally Blonde||Lend Me A Tenor||Les Miserables||The Lion King||Love Story||Mamma Mia||Million Dollar Quartet|| My Fair Lady||Oliver!||Park Avenue Cat||The Phantom Of The Opera||Priscilla Queen Of The Desert||She Loves Me||Shrek||Sister Act||Spamalot||Sweet Charity||Thriller||War Horse||We Will Rock You||Wicked||The Woman In Black||The Wizard Of Oz||

#295 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1016 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:41 AM

I agree that Jonathan Williams is a great Valjean.  

I know standbys are slightly different, but Sarah Earnshaw was a fabulous Glinda, I prefer her to interpretation to any of the principal Glindas I've seen.

#296 snowy01

snowy01

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:15 AM

View Postsparkles123, on 16 May 2011 - 06:06 PM, said:

My favourite understudies are:

Jonathon Williams as Val Jean
Scott Monello as Frankie Valli
Suzie McAdam as Vivienne!

All 3 are more than worthy of the lead.

definately agree with you concerning scott monello, in my opinion definately better than ryan malloy, though ryan malloy is very good in the role

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users