#31 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE(Piglet @ Mar 22 2007, 08:46 PM) View Post
It's a tricky name to spell, especially here where spelling and grammar aren't that important.

Does posting to this board actually make names harder to spell than normal?

No one minds a mistake but "Whatever" as a response to the mistake being pointed out, especially from someone called Siobhan, constitutes gratuitous rudeness, in my opinion.

This has been discussed before. Fine, don't worry about spelling and grammar; but on a board dedicated to the performing arts, where careers are analysed and dissected, spelling actors' names correctly should be common courtesy, and "it's a strange foreign name" was Jade Goody's excuse.
Ooh, that Bernadette Shaw - what a chatterbox!

#32 siobhan

siobhan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:32 AM

[quote name='frontofdahouze' date='Mar 22 2007, 01:17 AM' post='58 To say that Anna sings clearer than her is just a weird?. Siobhan you must be deaf.

Which one am I? Deaf or Racist?
Make your mind up.

From Slobhen
Don't dream it..be it!

#33 Piglet

Piglet

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:49 AM

[quote name='Orchestrator' date='Mar 22 2007, 11:50 PM' post='5928']

No. I said that it wasn't that important (it not being an arena for formal English) not that it made it difficult. To be fair Siobhan did try to spell it correctly. 'Whatever' was only in response to attack for misspelling it. As for especially from someone named Siobhan, I can't for the life of me see how that makes sense.

Of course one should aim to spell names correctly, asa common courtesy, but lets be realistic and not cringingly pedantic. Hammarlund is a trickier name to spell that say Paige, Barrowman or even Maxwell-Martin. Jade Goody's comments are, of course, irrelevant here.
Your concern for the correct spelling of Kaisa Hammarlund's name is slightly at odds with your inability to use the term 'slag off'. It is possible to criticise (and I really do think 'slag off' is the wrong phrase, idiomatic and colloquial as it is, it nonetheless implies something more vicious and less founded than Siobhan's measured criticism) without spelling a name correctly.
Worrying about spelling and grammar is futile. Noone's posts here are correct. This isn't and yours wasn't. Providing it's clear and understandable it shouldn't be a problem.

On a less argumentitive note, I always found Cory English to be much better than Nathan Lane

#34 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:01 AM

I notice it's OK to spell a name wrong if you praise the performer (see the post about Vanessa Leigh-Hicks).

But are posters really not familiar with the name Siobhan? And is it really necessary to abuse someone for having a different opinion of a performer?

#35 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE(Piglet @ Mar 23 2007, 10:49 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Orchestrator @ Mar 22 2007, 11:50 PM) View Post

No. I said that it wasn't that important (it not being an arena for formal English) not that it made it difficult. To be fair Siobhan did try to spell it correctly. 'Whatever' was only in response to attack for misspelling it. As for especially from someone named Siobhan, I can't for the life of me see how that makes sense.

Of course one should aim to spell names correctly, asa common courtesy, but lets be realistic and not cringingly pedantic. Hammarlund is a trickier name to spell that say Paige, Barrowman or even Maxwell-Martin. Jade Goody's comments are, of course, irrelevant here.
Your concern for the correct spelling of Kaisa Hammarlund's name is slightly at odds with your inability to use the term 'slag off'. It is possible to criticise (and I really do think 'slag off' is the wrong phrase, idiomatic and colloquial as it is, it nonetheless implies something more vicious and less founded than Siobhan's measured criticism) without spelling a name correctly.
Worrying about spelling and grammar is futile. Noone's posts here are correct. This isn't and yours wasn't. Providing it's clear and understandable it shouldn't be a problem.

On a less argumentitive note, I always found Cory English to be much better than Nathan Lane

First, Piglet, learn how quoting works here. It'll avoid confusion.

Second, you did said it was especially tricky to spell Hammarlund on this board where spelling and grammar didn't matter: "It's a tricky name to spell, especially here where spelling and grammar aren't that important."

Third, what I meant about Siobhan's name is that it is, in my opinion, also a tricky name to spell.

Fourth, you seem to be confusing me with Moose, unless you are accurately describing me as someone that doesn't use the phrase 'slag off' at all.

Fifth, this isn't an argument about spelling and grammar, but about politeness. As I said earlier, no one should mind a mistake. Siobhan's "Kaisa Whatever" was, by any standards, rude; can you imagine saying that to someone's face? It's the rude intemperateness that reminded me of Ms Goody.

Sixth, I absolutely agree that Cory was better than Nathan in The Producers.

#36 siobhan

siobhan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:45 AM

It was intended to be rude to Moose.
Don't dream it..be it!

#37 Piglet

Piglet

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:57 AM

Sorry I meant to credit that to Moose. Oh well, it's all relatively petty.

Just noticed we're all reading this too.

Did anyone see the free understudy performance of 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf'? Breathtaking and such a good idea. How often does that happen?

#38 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE(Piglet @ Mar 23 2007, 11:57 AM) View Post
Did anyone see the free understudy performance of 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf'? Breathtaking and such a good idea. How often does that happen?

I think understudies on West End contracts are entitled to a full run of the play with technical staff etc (but not the band) to which friends, colleagues, agents etc may be invited. On big musicals these never happen as the first covers all know in advance that they will be on for holiday cover. However on limited-run productions, especially of plays, they are quite common but for all sorts of bureaucratic reasons they are not generally open to the public. Sometimes they are advertised backstage at other West End theatres.

#39 Tootsie

Tootsie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Lots of great theatre please!!<br />

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:23 PM

In a lot of cases, when you are watching an understudy, you are actually watching a leading performer of the future. I have seen several understudies in shows years ago who are now recognisable musical theatre, if not household names.

Scarlett Strallen in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Summer Strallen in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Claire Moore in Phantom
Nigel Harman and Caroline Sheen in Mamma Mia
Laura Michelle Kelly was a cover in Beauty (although I don't know if she got on)
Jo Gibb in Chicago
Dianne Pilkington, John Owen Jones, Sophia Ragavelas etc in Les Miserables
Earl Carpenter in Witches.

There are loads - Watching understudies can be exciting if they have the potential to go on to bigger things. Relish it!

#40 theatre*fairy

theatre*fairy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:18 AM

On the 27th March, me and my family went to see Avenue Q in the evening and we checked the board at the front before hand and the only person whos name wasnt there was Julie Athertons ,but as annoyed as i was id been told by people that Claire Foster is amazing as Lucy and Kate, so i had nothing to worry about.
        So the show started and of course you had everyone there ,then it went on to one of my favourite songs' If you were gay', and Simon Lipkin was so funny during this, but he was not on stage for the rest of the show after that song so we had Luke Evans as Trekkie, Nicky and bad idea bear. He was so good and definitly deserves the right to perform in a main role at some point,(but not in this as i love Simons Nicky, he just so sweet). It wasnt till after the show , i found out that Simons voice practically went after 'If you were gay'. So although we didnt see Simon for the whole show what im trying to say is if it says Luke Evans name up, hes amazing and definitly is a true proffessional and you should definitly be able to see at some point in this role.
Tommy: OK, very important. There are two types of women, type A and type B. You listenin'?
Frankie:  Yeah.
Tommy:OK, type A. They're real easy. Jump right into bed witcha. Then later on, they bust your balls. Type B. First, they play hard to get. Then later on, they bust your balls.
Frankie: I don't get it.
Tommy:Don't worry, you will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users