Cheers, both. Better than Lastminute are offering

#32 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

What's Christian McKay like?  How big is his role and how good is he?  Also, is there tennis?

#33 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

No tennis. I thought McKay was fine, his role isn't huge, though it's crucial with some scenes that if played wrong would be absolute purgatory.

#34 Florence

Florence

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

I thought this was disappointing. I couldn't hear Lawrence Fox on occasions and when he spoke fast I couldn't work out what he was saying. Lots of people complaining about hearing him even down in the stalls. I was up in the grand circle, view was fine but I couldn't hear him very clearly and my hearing isn't that bad. It was the previews so maybe they will clear that up. Even so LF was quite wooden, only my view so maybe he will loosen up a bit as he gets into his role a bit more. The sets were good. being so high up you could see that people were running around in darkness with little torches putting out the sets. It wasn't too distracting but some people might find it annoying. Anyhow I am sure it will get better as the show goes on.

#35 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:54 PM

It sounds very intriguing!

#36 Samuel

Samuel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:11 AM

Just came back from seeing this earlier this evening and was very impressed. Firstly, the set is spectacular and I won't spoil the ending but it is a theatrical coup and very effective! Jack Huston was phenomenal, he really portrayed his menacing character very well. I wasn't expecting much from Laurence Fox given the reviews above but he was excellent and I was pleasantly surprised. I was in row O of the stalls and could hear him perfectly. Imogen Stubbs was very good too. Thought the whole thing was gripping from start to finish and the audience enjoyed it, a few people even stood up at the end. I would definitely recommend!

#37 stefy69

stefy69

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:03 AM

View PostSamuel, on 16 November 2013 - 01:11 AM, said:

Just came back from seeing this earlier this evening and was very impressed. Firstly, the set is spectacular and I won't spoil the ending but it is a theatrical coup and very effective! Jack Huston was phenomenal, he really portrayed his menacing character very well. I wasn't expecting much from Laurence Fox given the reviews above but he was excellent and I was pleasantly surprised. I was in row O of the stalls and could hear him perfectly. Imogen Stubbs was very good too. Thought the whole thing was gripping from start to finish and the audience enjoyed it, a few people even stood up at the end. I would definitely recommend!

That's good to hear, I've been looking forward to this one.

#38 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

I saw this last Thursday

The theatre was not even half full

I was sitting in the Grand Circle level and this was not even one quarter full

I simply cannot see this being a success over the xmas period with so much competition around

It does have a streak of evil and the end makes you truly despair

However, as a whole the play lacks overall sustained menace and it is a pretty stupid story

As far as a "stalker" story goes The Bodyguard is miles more entertaining

The sets are interesting but I am puzzled as to why they have so much automation but then also have stage hands nosily banging about whilst scenes are going on

For me the set changes were below amateur and this shows lack of thought into the staging

I cannot recommend it, there are many other plays worth seeing over this

#39 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

I must say I rather enjoyed it.  The set is rather fabulous and I love how they've staged it to look rather like a live black and white film.  Jack Huston is terrific and Imogen Stubbs has obviously got her eye on a couple of Tennessee Williams numbers.  She was magnificent although I half expected to see her teeth marks all over the scenery she was chewing that much of it!!

#40 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

The lack of enthusiasm for Laurence Fox's performance in this reminds me that the original - and excellent - Guy Haines, Farley Granger, was a seriously under-estimated actor.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users