6 replies to this topic

#1 Nosferatu777

Nosferatu777

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:26 PM

Did anybody else see this rather odd musical which completed its short run at the Tabard this week? I'm interested to hear what others thought of it as I can honestly say I've never seen anything else like it in my life. I believe it goes to the Edinburgh Festival in August so it'll be interesting to see if they bring it back to London for a longer run if its well received there.

#2 TheatreAndy

TheatreAndy

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE(Nosferatu777 @ Jul 5 2009, 01:26 PM) View Post
Did anybody else see this rather odd musical which completed its short run at the Tabard this week? I'm interested to hear what others thought of it as I can honestly say I've never seen anything else like it in my life. I believe it goes to the Edinburgh Festival in August so it'll be interesting to see if they bring it back to London for a longer run if its well received there.

I saw this and was simply astonished.  I left the theatre in stunned silence, not really knowing what to make of what I had just seen.  I have never seen so much blood in the theatre before and doubt I will again.  I liked the two young leads, but the "Steps" man was wooden and sang flat throught the performance.  it will interesting to see what happens to this in Edinburgh.

#3 Guest_321288_*

Guest_321288_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:53 AM

hi. I saw this in Edinburgh over the weekend, and was shocked - not by the piece but at how awful the music was. There's a darn good, unsettling creepy play here, but the electronic prerecorded music was a mess with no shape or anything. How the game cast managed to find any melodies was amazing. And it is a good cast. I didn't mind Lee being wooden as that sorted suited the supressed character and what was revealed about him. The two younger lads were excellent. It didn't have a big audience when I saw it. I was involved in one of the other shows in the venue, and it was fun to see them trying to get rid off all the blood on them in a venue without a shower. So, terrible music, and singing that seemed to be disconnected to the score, but a good story - an unsettlign experience in both good and bad ways. And more than enough flesh to keep everyone of every persuasion happy.

#4 Guest_NRJOS123_*

Guest_NRJOS123_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:07 PM

hi. i saw wolfboy and yes, i had to have a little time to digest it, and found it rather disturbing, but i thought it was amazing. i thought that the two young leads (paul holowaty and gregg lowe) were fantastic. paul, maybe sometimes off key, but overall i thought his growling tone added affect and atmosphere to his character. and i was astonished when i first heard the voice of the little girl "Annie". i thought she was competant, but what surprised me was that the people who put on this production managed to find an aproximately 13-14 year old girl to sing as the character, who was supposedly 13 and killed by "David". it was really affective, ather than getting an older person to record. i overall thought it aws an outstanding show with fantastic actors (especially paul) and very chilling music (i think leon paris?) superb job by leon who wrote some, repetative but fantastic music. and the voice of the girl was disturbing, but her voice was pleasant and added atmosphere to the performance. i really hope it flourishes in London. i would very happily come to support it again.
MADDIE BEDLEY.

#5 Guest_peewee_*

Guest_peewee_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:08 PM

Yes  I saw Wolfboy this week at the George Square venue in Edinburgh.
Wow! What a piece.
Its a very difficult subject matter to tackle in a musical but so refreshing to see it done and something other than the bog standard musical.
The cast are very talented especially the two young leads, Gregg Lowe and Paul Holowatty who have an awe inspiring chemistry and natural presence on stage.

I saw Gregg Lowe earlier in the year in New Boy at the Trafalgar studios, what an exciting talent he is - and he sings too, is there no end to this young mans talent he is definately one to look out for in the future!
Katie Beard also brings something special to this twisted tale of the things we shy away from in modern life.

Go see it! and lets hope it transfers to the west end.

#6 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:29 PM

Am I a bad person because this

QUOTE(TheatreAndy @ Aug 3 2009, 05:22 PM) View Post
I have never seen so much blood in the theatre before and doubt I will again.

really makes me want to see it? Having read the rest of the thread as well, I really hope it comes back to London! biggrin.gif

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#7 Guest_James C_*

Guest_James C_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:04 AM

Afraid it left me cold - didn't like the performances, and hated the music.  There is a decent story at the heart of the piece, but this musical was just disappointing.

I should mention that my views are base on seeing the first 40 minutes only, as I couldn't bear to stay any longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users