• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PeteS

PeteS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

As a fan of all kinds of theatre I tend to pay little attention to the big names that are appearing. If it is a good show, it is a good show whether or not the performers are well known. I wouldn't specifically go to see something because a certain person was appearing. I assume that is the case for the majority of theatre goers.

I have to say that I am now getting bored of people on here slagging off Marti Pellow. I have seen him performing live (Witches Of Eastwick and Jekyll & Hyde)and he is very good with an exceptional voice. I also know a couple of people that have worked with him and apparently he is a genuinely nice guy who works incredibly hard. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we all have different likes and dislikes, that is fair enough but I don't get the constant putting him down. I am not a fan and even I get sick of it. I do wonder if people dislike him (or is it just jealousy?) because he was a pop star that was given a top West End role as his first acting job when others have trained for many years and still can't get into the West End. That is down to the producers and isn't Marti Pellow's fault. Since then he has more than proved himself. I haven't seen Evita yet but the reviews have been fabulous. I find the digs made at him at every opportunity to be extremely childish! It has become so annoying it even promted me to join this forum (have read it for years) to have my say.

So to all of you Marti haters - so you don't like him, so what? Get over it and please stop boring us all!

#2 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

I thought this was going to be about a musical about Marti Pellow. Shame.

#3 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

What's this thread for exactly?
Personally, I'm glad Warwick Evans is back as the narrator in BB rather than Pellow!
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#4 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

Maybe it should be in the performers forum?

I have only ever seen Marti Pellow in Chess and really wasn't impressed at all, but haven't seen him in any other role. I have seen him in a few clips of Witches of Eastwick and Blood Brothers and didn't really think that much, but there again it is hard to tell on video and I know my mum liked him in WoE.

I don't think it is jealousy really, more that big theatre fans might get frustrated when (and I'm not saying it is the case with Pellow) 'celebrities' are cast in roles to get bums on seats rather than the role being taken by more talented professionals.

#5 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

You mean there isn't going to be a Marti Pellow The Musical? Such a shame that!

#6 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

He was very good in Witches and Chicago, but poor in Jekyll and Chess

#7 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

I'm sure I'm probably jealous of his bank account.

Other than the weird cast recording petition thread I can't recall him being mentioned much at all recently.

#8 BurlyBeaR

BurlyBeaR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

It can't be the pop star thing because little Gareth Gates proves otherwise.

Never could stand MP right from his Wet Wet Wet days. That ridiculous smile being flashed around indiscriminately, presumably to please "the ladies". Ugh.  He was on Graham Nortons radio programme a couple of months ago and came off as full of himself. Finally I saw the photos of him as Che and he looked ridiculous. I chose not to go and see the touring production and he was one of the reasons why. I do not like him.

Hope this helps! :0)

#9 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

I dont think its the fact he was a pop star (although I disagree with Gareth Gates proving otherwise), its just his voice isnt powerful enough for most shows, As I say I thought he worked well in Chicago and Witches

#10 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

Sunset Boulevard? Love Never Dies? Both rumoured elsewhere as having possible roles for him...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users