46 replies to this topic

#41 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

I thought Dominic West was American before I knew he wasn't, if you see what I mean. And look at Hugh Laurie- the Americans think he is American. Isn't it amusing, this accent thing? Oh and no one has mentioned that Dr Who has Scottish accent...again. But I love it when actors do different accents which they do all the time of course. But when it comes as a surprise it is really endearing. BC trades on his posh accent I think. Has he ever done any other, do we know? Lovely timbre though ;-))

#42 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:44 AM

I'm sure BC can do a fine American accent.  I don't know of a British actor who can't, I'm constantly amazed.  Do British actors just have better ears or is the American accent so easy?

Contrast the case with American actors doing British accents.  Think of Peter Dinklage on Game of Thrones.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#43 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:18 AM

One of my most excruciating experiences of all time was when a small USAn theatre company proudly brought their new play about a local Welsh boxing legend to the Wales Millennium Centre. The attempted Cardiff and Merthyr accents were appalling and the play text itself had a completely bonkers sentimental fantasy view of Merthyr which was wrongly believed to be a charming rural village apparently. What made the evening even more awful was that the audience included groups of locals from the South Cardiff milieu of the boxing legend who'd presumably been encouraged and enticed to see their heritage represented on stage, but sat gobsmacked in front of a total car-crash travesty. This utterly misguided enterprise couldn't have been more wrong, unless perhaps it had also featured Benedict Cumberbatch...

#44 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:44 AM

View Postmallardo, on 28 August 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:

I'm sure BC can do a fine American accent.  I don't know of a British actor who can't, I'm constantly amazed.  
How do you know they are fine ? Are you an American ? Some USA actors can do it, Kevin Spacey was near flawless in Richard II with only a few lapses, given the length and complexity of that text it was remarkable.

#45 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

I'm sure BC can do a fine American accent. I don't know of a British actor who can't, I'm constantly amazed. Do British actors just have better ears or is the American accent so easy?

Contrast the case with American actors doing British accents. Think of Peter Dinklage on Game of Thrones.

You don't know a British actor who can't? Diana Rigg, Judi Dench, Ruth Wilson, Kristin Scott Thomas, Keira Knightley, Maggie Smith, I've seen all of them deliver the most atrociously accented performances. Whereas Dinklage is easily the best thing about Game of Thrones on the accent front. Nikolai Coster-Walder is hopelessly bad in that, as was Richard Madden to begin with.

#46 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

Well, yes, I am American so I am judging from that perspective.  Ruth Wilson, Kristin Scott Thomas and Keira Knightly are utterly convincing to me - the others I can't recall hearing.

I'm not suggesting Dinklage is not a stalwart cast member of GOT but, come on, his attempts at an accent are laughable.

But, clearly, this is an ear of the beholder situation.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#47 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

Have you seen Only God Forgives? KST is giving a wildly inconsistent American accent right there.

Also tagged with Hamlet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users