200 replies to this topic

#1 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

Leonard Bernstein's Candide will be the Christmas musical this year at the Menier Chocolate Factory from 2nd December 2013 (previews from 22nd November 2013) - 22nd February 2014.

It will be directed by Matthew White (Top Hat), choreographed by Adam Cooper (Singin' In The Rain), designed by Paul Farnsworth with lighting by Paul Anderson, sound design by Gareth Owen, musical supervision by David Charles Abell and the musical director will be Seann Alderking.

No casting has been announced as of yet.

Full article from The Stage: http://www.thestage...._source=twitter
Somebody crowd me with love, Somebody force me to care,
Somebody make me come through, I'll always be there, As frightened as you, of Being Alive.

#2 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:52 AM

Yay. This really is the best of all possible news, thanks for brightening up my day :-)

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#3 Andromeda Dench

Andromeda Dench

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Er... theatre? Plays, musicals, opera. Classic and modern. Playwrights, directors, performers, designers. Theatre venues. Everything.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:46 PM

Great choice! Man, do I love Choc Fac. But cast it well, please.
''Fosse believed that, “The time to sing is when your emotional level is too high to just speak anymore, and the time to dance is when your emotions are just too strong to only sing about how you feel." ''

#4 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostAndromeda Dench, on 02 September 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

Great choice! Man, do I love Choc Fac. But cast it well, please.

It's gonna be good

#5 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

Did anyone here see the Robert Carson production at the ENO a couple of years ago?  Some hated it but I thought it was quite sensational.

Cast it well, indeed.  Pangloss apart, it really needs operatic voices.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#6 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:52 PM

View Postmallardo, on 02 September 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

Did anyone here see the Robert Carson production at the ENO a couple of years ago?  Some hated it but I thought it was quite sensational.

Yes, I saw it. It was 2008 though so more than a couple of years ago! I found the production a mixture of shocking, enjoyable & cringeworthy at various points. Mind you, Candide's a guilty pleasure musical for me anyway. I tend to enjoy it while feeling I should be disapproving of it - and it's inevitably the most inappropriate lyrics that get stuck in my head afterwards!

It would be nice if the Menier could get opera singers for Candide & Cunegonde at least, though I'm not sure they will. As well as Pangloss, I don't think the Old Lady needs an opera singer either. Beverley Klein did the role both at ENO & in a concert performace I saw last year & she was fabulous despite not being at all operatic. That was the first, and probably the last, concert in which I've seen anyone vamping several younger men whilst standing on a chair!

#7 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

I'll probably give this a go, when will be allowed to buy tickets then?
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#8 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

View PostDawnstar, on 02 September 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

Yes, I saw it. It was 2008 though so more than a couple of years ago! I found the production a mixture of shocking, enjoyable & cringeworthy at various points. Mind you, Candide's a guilty pleasure musical for me anyway. I tend to enjoy it while feeling I should be disapproving of it - and it's inevitably the most inappropriate lyrics that get stuck in my head afterwards!

It would be nice if the Menier could get opera singers for Candide & Cunegonde at least, though I'm not sure they will. As well as Pangloss, I don't think the Old Lady needs an opera singer either. Beverley Klein did the role both at ENO & in a concert performace I saw last year & she was fabulous despite not being at all operatic. That was the first, and probably the last, concert in which I've seen anyone vamping several younger men whilst standing on a chair!

2008, are you serious?  Where has the time gone?

But, yes, I well remember the diminutive Ms Klein and she was wonderful indeed.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#9 Andromeda Dench

Andromeda Dench

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Er... theatre? Plays, musicals, opera. Classic and modern. Playwrights, directors, performers, designers. Theatre venues. Everything.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

View Postcraftymiss, on 02 September 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

It's gonna be good

Fingers crossed. But by now I do have faith in their productions.

View Postmallardo, on 02 September 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

Cast it well, indeed.  Pangloss apart, it really needs operatic voices.

Yes, I've always seen it performed by opera singers who were all so bad in the acting department that I have yet to see a Candide production I like. Mind you,  none of the ones I saw was at any quality opera house/theatre.
''Fosse believed that, “The time to sing is when your emotional level is too high to just speak anymore, and the time to dance is when your emotions are just too strong to only sing about how you feel." ''

#10 Stage Hand

Stage Hand

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

Glitter and Be Gay- So So difficult to sing - needs a singer with a quality bell voice unless they choose to translate it down for musical theater. I thought ENO's last production was just about OK. I agree the casting will either make  or break this production not an easy one to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users