- - - - -

"Putting It Together" (Guildford) & "Sondheim: Women" (London)

Stephen Sondheim

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

Just browsing twitter I found that there's a production of Stephen Sondheim's Putting It Together at G Live in Guildford coming at the end of the month for four performances. I'm surprised at how little this has been publicised, especially given the impressive cast list - David Bedella, Daniel Crossley, Janie Dee, Damian Humbley and Caroline Sheen.

Sondheim fans might also want to check out the upcoming Sondheim: Women at the studio in St James Theatre - another one I hadn't heard of, it seems there was a performance last night and another is scheduled for 28 September. Another impressive cast - Hannah Waddingham, Josefina Gabrielle, Emma Williams, Jamie Birkett, Zoë Curlett, Rebecca Lock, Fiona O'Carroll, Lauren Samuels and Lucy Williamson.

I thought I'd mention them in the same thread as I almost booked Putting It Together for the Saturday which would have meant missing the concert!

More details on Putting It Together at the G Live website here: Click
More details on Sondheim: Womenat the St James Theatre website here: Click

EDIT: I'm perplexed as to how some of the capital letters in the topic title have turned into lower case... apologies as I can't find a way to edit the title!
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#2 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

Wow. Thanks for that, I was hoping to attend Woman but fings cropped up. The 28th is now in my diary :-)

Is Together only on for 4 performances? This cast is great. seems a lot of effort for just one venue ...  I have the DVD of the B way production and it's rather fabulous

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#3 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

Yes, it seems like it's just the four performances - I agree it seems a lot of effort for one venue (especially as it seems to be in the studio and not the main space). The director Alastair Knights and MD Alex Parker were also responsible for the recent one-off concert performance of A Little Night Music nearby at Guildford's Yvonne Arnaud Theatre with a similarly impressive cast. I was gutted to miss that one - I've signed up to the listings for both venues now as it seems there's a lot of love for Sondheim down there!

You're right about the DVD too, it's the one I always seem to put on when I get home after any musical if I'm on a "show high"!

#4 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

View PostDeal J, on 08 September 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

I'm perplexed as to how some of the capital letters in the topic title have turned into lower case... apologies as I can't find a way to edit the title!

Fixed. The board software capitalises the first letter of each word and lowercases the rest, but it's stupid and thinks that " is the first letter of a word. The only way around it is for a moderator to edit the title after the thread has been created.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#5 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:55 PM

Thank you Matthew, not only was it ugly I was intrigued from an I.T. perspective, so you've helped on both counts!

#6 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

I went to the first Sondheim: Women concert last night & really enjoyed it. I thought all the singers were excellent - admittedly I had already seen & liked 6 of the 9 in other shows previously so may be biased! - so to try to select highlights seems rather unfair but I will say that I found Clare Foster's "Being Alive" and "Not A Day Goes By" very moving.

I wish I could go to the second concert but I was already booked for The Light Princess that night before they announced it. I'm going to the afternoon performance of Putting It Together the same day. As it doesn't start till 4pm I'm really hoping it's a short show or it'll be tight to get back into London for 7.30pm.

#7 alec_e10

alec_e10

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

I have booked for Putting it Together and only heard about it by chance. Never been to the theatre before either.
Really looking forward to this. I saw it many years ago when they did a one off showing at the Odeon Leicester Square on a saturday morning in HD and have since got the DVD and CD. As others mentioned its a great cast. I got my tickets on Friday for the Satuday matinee and when I went onto the website it was not showing any of the other performances as being available so not sure if it is now sold out.

#8 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

Dawnstar - that was my plan originally too, to go to Together on Saturday afternoon then head up to Women, but it did seem a little tight and I'd hate to miss Women due to something as tiresome as train delays! If you're still considering it through it might help to know Women doesn't start until 8pm.

alec_e10 - glad you got tickets, I don't think Together is sold out yet though, as there is still some availability showing on this page: https://www.glive.co...E8-6113D4692AF3

#9 Andromeda Dench

Andromeda Dench

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Er... theatre? Plays, musicals, opera. Classic and modern. Playwrights, directors, performers, designers. Theatre venues. Everything.

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

Both shows/concerts sound great, wish I were in London right now. :( Do post your impressions, please!
''Fosse believed that, “The time to sing is when your emotional level is too high to just speak anymore, and the time to dance is when your emotions are just too strong to only sing about how you feel." ''

#10 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:07 AM

First performance of Putting It Together was rather special tonight.

The cast are fantastic - it's strange seeing Damian Humbley in a Merrily-heavy show so soon after his appearance as Charley, but after hearing his 'Marry Me A Little' I'm now hoping someday to see him as Bobby in a production of 'Company'.

Janie Dee is clearly relishing getting the lion's share of the best songs, and although there were a few fluffed lines, the way she dealt with them still won the crowd over.

David Bedella's voice is even more mesmerising than usual in this intimate setting. I'd love to see him as Sweeney Todd.

Daniel Crossley is rather dashing, very funny especially during "Buddy's Blues" and a particularly saucy "Everybody Ought To Have A Maid".

I didn't know Caroline Sheen prior to tonight, she gives a very likeable performance and by the time we reached "More" she knocked my socks off.

A few minor sound and lighting issues, but overall a real treat - especially for Sondheim fans.

Can't wait for "Sondheim:Women" next tomorrow! Good luck to those of you trying to squeeze both in. By train the London Road Guildford station is much closer to the G-Live venue (3 mins) than the main Guildford station, but services aren't as regular.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users