- - - - -

Is A Theatre Trip Affordable To The Masses?

save money save on theatre theatre tickets money saving tips theatre breaks london theatre

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Mj0000Mary

Mj0000Mary

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

The recent 'rat-race' to buy tickets for the re-release of Miss Saigon, cemented the view that West End theatre tickets are still in high demand regardless of the current econimic climate.  Of course, where there is demand there is also an opportunity for theatres (or at least producers) to inflate prices.
When you add to this the cost of a bite to eat, post show drinks and travel to and from the capital - the average theatre experience can get pretty expensive.

So, the question is -
"Is a West End theatre trip becoming something that only the 'more well-off' of us can afford?"

"What money saving tips can regular theatre goers offer to ease the blow?"

#2 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

Welcome to the boards. If you look round the forum you will find plenty of tips on getting cheap tickets via website, mailshots, membership schemes etc. There is no one single way of getting a bargain though (and I doubt whether Miss Saignon will be discounted any time soon). Just as a matter of interest - are you here for discussion or are you researching an article?

#3 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

Welcome to the boards. If you look round the forum you will find plenty of tips on getting cheap tickets via website, mailshots, membership schemes etc. There is no one single way of getting a bargain though (and I doubt whether Miss Saignon will be discounted any time soon). Just as a matter of interest - are you here for discussion or are you researching an article?

#4 jamesbennet7

jamesbennet7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

This is an interesting one.

First of all I've got to disagree that theatre ticket prices are to blame.  Like any other industry, if there is a demand then theatre producers would be foolish to discount tickets.
Also - the high quality of West End Theatre does have something to do with the larger budgets available thanks to the sale of tickets.

That said......
I have to agree that a night at a West End show is expensive nowadays.
The obvious way to make your money go a bit further is to buy 'last minute' tickets which generally work out cheaper.

As for saving money on food and drink  -  I think your pretty much tied to the fact that london pubs charge a premium - maybe we should just learn to drink slower..

#5 Mj0000Mary

Mj0000Mary

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

Sorry I should have explained.  Having recently starting theatre school near London I wanted to get into the habit of researching some West End shows.  Unfortunately Im finding this difficult on my budget.

Thought it would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on the price of theatre tickets and see what tips people might have to help make the evening more affordable

#6 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

Doesn't the theatre school have any cheapos? Can't you get together, book group tix which are very much cheaper? And you can form Rotas for,queuing for day seats. Good luck

#7 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:08 PM

Student tickets? Entry Pass Under 25 tickets for the NT? Day Seats? Lastminute.com? Stand at the Globe for £5? Go to fringe shows? Read these boards and Theatremonkey for tips on restricted view seats?   There are lots of options, just not for a tiny number of sell-out shows. I don't have access to any age-related discounts or student/work-related ones but I almost never pay full price.

#8 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

Armadillo is right there are quite a lot of opportunities to get cheaper tickets and watching these boards def gives you the tip off about price reductions etc., I pay less for tickets that i used to in my pre board days, it also helps inform your decisions on what to see so you can spread your money out. You can of course always take food and drink with you to reduce costs. Travel is usually the most expensive thing for me but it's theatre trips are doable if you take a little time to chase the right deals and save where you can.

ps welcome

#9 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

I very rarely pay more than 20 or 30 squid for a ticket. Lots of discounts, fringe shows, vouchers and membership to the audience club is how I do it. To me it's affordable and of cousre the expense is justified but I wouldn't pay even 1 pound to watch a football match!

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#10 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

Three shows this week, all front row seats, none booked in advance - Book Of Mormon, Farragut North, The Pride. TOTAL ticket price £46.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

Also tagged with save money, save on theatre, theatre tickets, money saving tips, theatre breaks, london theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users