- - - - -

Is A Theatre Trip Affordable To The Masses?

save money save on theatre theatre tickets money saving tips theatre breaks london theatre

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:23 AM

View PostKathryn2, on 27 September 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

I'd note that the survey was of a thousand prople sho said they'd been to the theatre at least once in the last three years, and conducted by Ticketmaster - so Insuspect that data is going to be skewed

The report actually admits that it's skewed towards online behaviour.

I find it puzzling that there are conclusions about the fraction of the population that attend theatre. The report says "A large majority (76%) of the UK population has been to at least one theatre show [...] in the past three years", but there's nothing to back up that claim and no mention of its origin, which is odd considering that other claims are accompanied by charts.

I'm also annoyed that there's a "who do you go to the theatre with?" section but it doesn't include "nobody". I do not believe that a randomly chosen population of 1818 theatregoers didn't include any singles, so either they haven't bothered to include them in the results or they used a question along the lines of "when you go with other people, who do you go with?"
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#32 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

View PostKathryn2, on 27 September 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

I'd note that the survey was of a thousand prople sho said they'd been to the theatre at least once in the last three years, and conducted by Ticketmaster - so Insuspect that data is going to be skewed, it's not capturing the young people who don't go to the theatre or the older people who don't book tickets online.
did it just use ticketmaster punters? i guess so. i never use em or any agency to be honest (well maybe last minute once in a blue moon). i generally hang out in the younc vic, eno, choc factory and other south london haunts and mostly the crowd is older middle class folk not at all what thesurvey suggests

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#33 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

Sounds like a load of rubbish done for marketing purposes. It is so obviously wrong.

#34 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

View PostLynette, on 30 September 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

Sounds like a load of rubbish done for marketing purposes. It is so obviously wrong.

Depends which theatres they are talking about. The audience for the Globe, for example, is completely different from that of the WE. Musicals tend to have a fair percentage of Young People.  And, as has been pointed out, school trips make up a large section of theatre audiences. I've been going regularly since my teens and I certainly always notice a lot of people much younger than me whenever I go (except, for midweek matinees and certain specific theatres)

#35 NoddyButtToday

NoddyButtToday

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 30 September 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

Depends which theatres they are talking about. The audience for the Globe, for example, is completely different from that of the WE. Musicals tend to have a fair percentage of Young People.  And, as has been pointed out, school trips make up a large section of theatre audiences. I've been going regularly since my teens and I certainly always notice a lot of people much younger than me whenever I go (except, for midweek matinees and certain specific theatres)

I'm someone who does the Globe and the WE and has been regular since my teens. Mind you, I haven't started putting Young People in capitals yet.

I think theatre trips are horrendously expensive if you add in the travel and food. Especially when you've someone looking for younger people next to you.

#36 Cyrano

Cyrano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

Just got an email about "The Full Monty" for next Spring with an offer for half price previews (on the Delfont site) making the lowest price a whopping £4.75!!! That's my mum's Christmas present taken care of!

Great cheeky trailer as well!! ;-) ;) ;)

#37 JME52K

JME52K

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

View PostCyrano, on 01 October 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

Just got an email about "The Full Monty" for next Spring with an offer for half price previews (on the Delfont site) making the lowest price a whopping £4.75!!! That's my mum's Christmas present taken care of!

It's well worth seeing. I'm from Sheffield where it premiered to full houses every night (well it would wouldn't it? ;-) ). Very funny and well acted. The idea is to keep the prices down to encourage more people to go to the theatre.  I really hope it works for them.

#38 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

View PostCyrano, on 01 October 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

Ive just booked myself a ticket, I'm seeing Candide the evening I'm now seeing the Full Monty. Thanks for the heads up, worth a punt

Also tagged with save money, save on theatre, theatre tickets, money saving tips, theatre breaks, london theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users