* * * * - 4 votes

Stephen Ward - The Musical

New ALW musical (Don Black Christopher Hampton)

• Please log in to reply
714 replies to this topic

#11 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

I could imagine the Cambridge being good for this, if it wasn't for Matilda...

#12 paultheatre

paultheatre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 23 April 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

Cambridge, New London, Palladium, Drury Lane, Her Majesty's and co-owns the Adelphi with Nederlander.

Hmm, where do you think it will go out of his ones?  They either seems too big or too "full"!

#13 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

View Postpaultheatre, on 23 April 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

Hmm, where do you think it will go out of his ones?  They either seems too big or too "full"!

It might not go into one of his theatres, he has had shows in theatres not owned by him in the past like Whistle Down the Wind and By Jeeves but that was before he owned a lot of theatres,

#14 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

My poor little mind is struggling to imagine what this show will be like. Distasteful or what? A couple of funny songs about call girls but basically it is about a man hounded to death...certainly not our best hour. .Oh well, Diana the musical not far behind..

#15 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

I completely disagree with that! Andrew Lloyd webber has taken on some very deep material before and has always treated it tastefully, so I don't see why this would be any different!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#16 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

I bow to your superior knowledge but has ALW done factual, a true story where people outdid each other in hypocrisy and lying? Remind me.

#17 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

I said deep, I didn't say he had done this exact work before, but sunset boulevard, whistle down the wind, Jesus Christ superstar and evita aren't exactly frivolous musicals. But evita is pretty much a true story about lying and death if that helps?
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#18 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:39 PM

View PostLynette, on 24 April 2013 - 10:20 PM, said:

.Oh well, Diana the musical not far behind..
http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/B007BR5SBQ

I just hope it's not at the Playhouse. I despise that theatre... The Piccadilly would be a nice theatre for it, not too big either and lets be honest; Viva Forever is living on borrowed time.
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#19 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

He's got slim pickings in terms of available theatre,

#20 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:40 AM

ALW has often tackled odd and difficult subjects. JCS caused a furore when it was first produced - protests about blasphemy outside the Palace Theatre, Cats was considered a completely ridiculous subject based on poems by TS Eliot (!) and they could barely raise the finance. Evita of course - a true story of political intrigue and ambition of (at the time) a little known subject. So Stephen Ward is a hardly exceptional as subject matter. It all depends on how good the piece is and of course the production. Still hate the title though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users