* * * * - 4 votes

Stephen Ward - The Musical

New ALW musical (Don Black Christopher Hampton)

• Please log in to reply
714 replies to this topic

#21 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:02 AM

View Postwickedgrin, on 25 April 2013 - 03:40 AM, said:

ALW has often tackled odd and difficult subjects.

What's weird is that I used to know of a US composer who regularly criticised Lloyd Webber for pandering to the masses and writing obvious hits instead of tackling difficult subjects, despite the fact that when you go through Lloyd Webber's work there's barely anything that didn't look like a sure-fire flop prior to opening. The logic seemed to be that his work was popular, therefore it must be populist. (I think it was a Broadway thing: some people have never forgiven ALW for not only invading the home of the American musical but for being more successful than the Americans at their own art form.)
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#22 johartuk

johartuk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostLynette, on 24 April 2013 - 10:20 PM, said:

My poor little mind is struggling to imagine what this show will be like. Distasteful or what? A couple of funny songs about call girls but basically it is about a man hounded to death...certainly not our best hour. .Oh well, Diana the musical not far behind..

In fairness, ALW has tackled difficult subjects before.  He told the story of the week leading up to the crucifixion from Judas' point of view in JCS.  He told the story of Argentinian dictator's wife Eva Peron in Evita.  He used the troubles in Northern Ireland as the basis for The Beautiful Game (aka The Boys In The Photograph).  There's no reason why a musical about Stephen Ward should be distasteful if it's handled right.  He was a fascinating character.

#23 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

Whatever ALW comes up with it's bound to be more interesting than Love Never Dies.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#24 CaityGlinda

CaityGlinda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

The main problem I have with this, is that I haven't got a clue who Stephen Ward is and I've never heard of the Profumo Scandal until now, and I like to consider myself quite a cultured 18 year old. I can't imagine I'm the only person who will have almost no interest in this show because of that reason. I imagine that young adults aren't the target audience, which is a shame.
[West End] Wicked x7 . The Phantom Of The Opera x4 . Les Miserables x4 . Oliver! x3 .The Lion King x2 . We Will Rock You x2 . Sister Act x2 . Blood Brothers x2 . Hair x2 . War Horse x2 . Love Never Dies . Jersey Boys . Avenue Q . Hairspray . The 39 Steps . Legally Blonde . Mamma Mia! . Deathtrap . The Wizard of Oz . Ghost the Musical . Billy Elliot . Singin' In The Rain . Top Hat . Sweeney Todd . Matilda . Loserville .
[Broadway]  Next to Normal . Wicked . Anything Goes . End of the Rainbow .
[UK Tour]  West Side Story (Salford) . Joseph (Sheffield) . Oklahoma! (Sheffield) . Blood Brothers (Sheffield) . Avenue Q (Sheffield) . Jekyll and Hyde (Sheffield) . Tell Me On A Sunday (Sheffield) . Journey's End (Sheffield) . The Phantom Of The Opera (Leeds) .
[Regional] Hamlet (Sheffield Crucible) . Othello (Sheffield Crucible) . Company (Sheffield Crucible) . My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible) . Oliver (Sheffield Crucible)

#25 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

Not many people were that aware of EVITA!

#26 BurlyBeaR

BurlyBeaR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:54 AM

View PostABowlerHat, on 25 April 2013 - 09:27 PM, said:

Not many people were that aware of EVITA!

Or Barnum
Fanny Brice
Gypsy Rose Lee
Maria Von Trapp
etc etc etc

#27 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:12 AM

all true but theatre going market is different now so its going to be a tricky sell. especially as alws name doesnt sell a show anymore

baz in the mail confirmes the aldywch is what he has his eye on, but there are two others he likes should top hat stay open

#28 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:33 AM

It is (or should be) a show about sex and scandal - sounds like it could sell to me.  They just need to fix that title!
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#29 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

something like Scandal could work, but runs risk of people thinking its an adaption of the movie. also im not sure how much the actual affair will be a feature as alw has implied it will only be a small aspect

#30 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

Yes the title definitely needs changing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users