* * * * - 4 votes

Stephen Ward - The Musical

New ALW musical (Don Black Christopher Hampton)

• Please log in to reply
714 replies to this topic

#31 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

I'm not old enough to know much about the Profumo Affair, but I'm interested in the show. It probably will be a hard sell without a star name attached to it, but I'll go and see if I can learn something.

#32 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:59 PM

According to broadway world opens late 2013 aldwych theatre

#33 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

View Postmrtheatre123, on 09 May 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

According to broadway world opens late 2013 aldwych theatre

This House is doing a sixteen week run before it so I imagine it'll preview December/January before a January/February opening.

#34 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

Sounds a bit unlikely, firstly wouldn't ALW want it in one of his theatres? Also what about Top Hat? Unless its moving or it's doing that bad, is it ready to close yet (even after its Olivier wins)?

#35 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:23 AM

View Postjamescrispy94, on 10 May 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

Sounds a bit unlikely, firstly wouldn't ALW want it in one of his theatres? Also what about Top Hat? Unless its moving or it's doing that bad, is it ready to close yet (even after its Olivier wins)?

None of ALW's smaller theatres are available given that they're hosting hit shows like War House and Matilda plus Stephen Ward is meant to be a chamber musical.

#36 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

I have never really heard of Stephen Ward before and no just as little about the Profumo affair. Last week in NYC I picked up an interesting second hand book about a 'famous miscarriage of justice' which I thought looked good as I am a law student. Now I have read that and become hooked on the story, finally yesterday everything fell into place and I realised where I had heard the name before. This has given me quite a bit of interest into seeing this show, if it is done well it could be just like Scottsboro Boys (which I have just booked to see) and Parade (which I missed so hoping for a revival in the near future) - funny to have all of these dealing with similar legal issues!

#37 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

I'm looking forward to this - I'm hoping after LND he'll have raised his game a little (or a lot).
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#38 Seriously

Seriously

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:46 PM

Knowing Lloyd Weber, it'll be one "catchy but simple" song, based around one interesting chord progression... and then a load of filler stuff.  I struggle to remember anything from LNDies other than "Till I hear you sing".

#39 wetheatreboy

wetheatreboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

The problem with LND was never really the music though... It was everything else! I think Till I Hear You Sing is one of the best things ALW has ever written.

Intrigued to see how this musical turns out. It's the same writing team as Sunset Boulevard, which I think is the best musical Lloyd-Webber has ever written (and that film was never the most obvious choice for a musical).

#40 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

View PostSeriously, on 28 May 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

Knowing Lloyd Weber, it'll be one "catchy but simple" song, based around one interesting chord progression... and then a load of filler stuff.  I struggle to remember anything from LNDies other than "Till I hear you sing".
Are you a composer?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users