* * * * - 4 votes

Stephen Ward - The Musical

New ALW musical (Don Black Christopher Hampton)

• Please log in to reply
714 replies to this topic

#41 Seriously

Seriously

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:40 AM

Nope, a conductor.

#42 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

View Postwetheatreboy, on 29 May 2013 - 07:29 PM, said:

The problem with LND was never really the music though... It was everything else! I think Till I Hear You Sing is one of the best things ALW has ever written.

Intrigued to see how this musical turns out. It's the same writing team as Sunset Boulevard, which I think is the best musical Lloyd-Webber has ever written (and that film was never the most obvious choice for a musical).

To be fair, the majority of the songs in LND are pretty strong. The problem was he used London as a guinea pig. In AUS and Denmark, LND has been hugely successful. He gave us an uncompleted version. It wasn't "dark" enough (and I don't think the aus version was either, but apparently the DK version was even darker!). The pictures look pretty... awesome. http://broadwayworld...R-DIES-20130410

Look at that mask!
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#43 Bricabrac

Bricabrac

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

View PostCoggit, on 30 May 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

To be fair, the majority of the songs in LND are pretty strong. The problem was he used London as a guinea pig. In AUS and Denmark, LND has been hugely successful. He gave us an uncompleted version. It wasn't "dark" enough (and I don't think the aus version was either, but apparently the DK version was even darker!). The pictures look pretty... awesome. http://broadwayworld...R-DIES-20130410

Look at that mask!

However much tinkering they do with the tone and the staging, it still has the same lame, over-melodramatic story (as opposed to well-crafted melodrama) and distorted characters.
There is supposed to be a UK tour next year so we'll see if the audiences in the smaller cities like the worked and reworked version as much as the Aussies and the Danes apparently did. If it does well enough, they might bring it back to London for another try.
There's also a concert version in Vienna---eight performances---next October, more emphasis on the singing and less on the drama.

#44 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:37 PM

It's sydmonton this weekend
Interesting who hasn't been invited?

#45 Bricabrac

Bricabrac

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

View PostJamiem, on 06 June 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

It's sydmonton this weekend
Interesting who hasn't been invited?

OK----who hasn't been invited?

#46 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2075 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

I haven't
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#47 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

Nor me!

#48 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

I have... Ok well maybe not... I bet Stephen Ward wasn't invited!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#49 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

Any update on this?

#50 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members