* * * * - 4 votes

Stephen Ward - The Musical

New ALW musical (Don Black Christopher Hampton)

• Please log in to reply
714 replies to this topic

#81 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1296 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

Lots of people didn't share your opinions though .. Hence the short runs..

#82 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

With Betty in particular, it wasn't so much that people who saw it didn't like it. It was people just didn't see it. It was v well reviewed, but it didn't have commercial appeal.

Lord of the Rings I agree with you more. I did love it, but many (inc the critics) didn't.

#83 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

im the opposite, i thought Betty was such a let down. good cd though. LOTR was just pure theatre

#84 Seriously

Seriously

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:46 PM

I've just heard the clip on the website, and the piano arrangement of the main theme.  How awful.  It sounds like a bad ring tone that someone with GCSE music wrote.  2 chords going around and around.  Sounds like a dull affair to me.

#85 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:36 PM

Perhaps the music's a bit simple but bugger me it's memorable, as are the lyrics "Stephen Ward your friendly osteopath/I can fix your lower back for you".  They'll probably work in context, but standing alone they sound a tiny bit overliteral and silly.  All day I've been playing a game, taking ALW musicals and making the lyrics, to the tune of "Stephen Ward", as literal as this:
"I am Jesus, I'm the son of God/It looks like I will be crucified"
"I'm the Phantom of the Opera/I'm quite ugly so I wear a mask"
"Eva Peron, wife of Juan Peron/Argentinians seemed to quite like me"
"I'm a train that's wearing roller skates/Choo choo choo choo choo choo choo choo choo"

#86 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1296 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:33 AM

I know lots of people (myself included ) who thought Betty was not good at all... Or funny. And LOTR was just a plain old disaster. Still... Different strokes...

#87 carandgem

carandgem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

I liked the theme as played in the video clip; it would be perfect in a musical about Pushkin.

#88 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 30 June 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

I know lots of people (myself included ) who thought Betty was not good at all... Or funny. And LOTR was just a plain old disaster. Still... Different strokes...

This is quite ironic coming from yourself.
http://forum.whatson...d/page__st__390
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#89 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1296 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

Indeed

#90 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

"Stephen Ward your friendly osteopath/I can fix your lower back for you" is the most frustrating thing EVERRR. I literally cant get it out of my head - I'm literally driving myself crazy humming and singing it. I've never had a song stuck in my head like this since I saw Legally Blonde on B'way ("OmiGod you guys"!)
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users