#31 yallerybrown

yallerybrown

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:00 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 17 October 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

Guilty as charged ! And as such I enjoyed your very long post on The Light Princess.

i have a fan <3

xo

#32 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:27 PM

Well, it is certainly taken at a leisurely pace...but on the whole I enjoyed this. Lovely performance from Linda Basset, the rest not bad. Accent not convincing  - it might be correct but that doesn't mean it is convincing. Details on the set and stage business excellent but I can't help think that a little less attention to that and more to the speech would have been better. I think they did Chicken Soup better at the Royal Court.

What have done to the heating system in the Donmar? I was on row D facing, number 27 and the last twenty minutes were a challenge as I froze to paralysis. Made it difficult to concentrate.

#33 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

I liked the two lead roles. Good set but I really liked the subtle lighting. Lynn is correct. Taken leisurely but enjoyable

#34 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

View PostLynette, on 26 October 2013 - 10:27 PM, said:

Accent not convincing  - it might be correct but that doesn't mean it is convincing
Accents and speech reminded me of my milltown friend, and he is old. Linda Bassett could easily have been his dear ole mam.

#35 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:50 AM

In the end, I found this alright.  It’s a nice two act play.  Shame about Act One.  Act One made me think of Larkin and Playboy of the Western World.  Yesterday I tidied my room, which was not fun but was rewarding.  Watching Jessica Raine do it was neither fun nor rewarding.  The accents located it as Australia with some Irish.  There’s only so much watching the washing up or talking about electricity bills I can hear before it loses its meaning.  It seemed to last four hours.

Then we get to Act Two and it’s like it’s a different play.  Suddenly Wesker makes his points about roots and escaping family well.  The dialogue works as a debate whilst being recognisable.  And more importantly, Linda Bassett!  It’s such a wonderful performance.  The bit where they empty the bath water – yet another bloody mundanity – set to classical music was a lovely mingling of the two cultures.  Act Three laid it on thick, but Act Two, mainly because it was just them, was very nice.  Having family a bit like Bassett’s character, I recognised the language (there goes that specific bus – family actually say that).  The accents (vaguely) settled.  It was such a step up and frankly I wish it was a one act two hander.  Then we get to Act Three and it’s heavy handed, but I enjoyed spending time with the characters.  Thematically it says what it said in Act Two but louder, but they were pleasant company or, at least, there was a nice balance between Bassett’s worldliness and Raine’s pretentiousness.  Also, given that the idea that going away can change someone so that former close friends and family are no longer that close affects most people, it should have touched a nerve in a way it never did. It was fine.

So, a bit heavy handed, a bit obvious, themes I’ve seen before (in fact, in trying to escape drab Northern roots by improving one’s mind, themes Bennett staged wonderfully in Cocktail Sticks – wonderfully and in only 45 minutes) and unremarkable.  Overall, not bad, almost ‘good’.

#36 steveatplays

steveatplays

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

Wesker is a bit of a snob if he thinks political and cultural disengagement makes people any less human. And Ronnie, Wesker's alter-ego in this play, comes off as completely gutless. That said, I really enjoyed removing myself from a hectic bright Saturday afternoon to a quiet calmly paced dimly lit Norfolk. At this stage in the run, all accents are stable and convincing. And the performances by the two leads was wonderful, Jessica Raine capturing a woman waking up to a love of life, and Linda Bassett as a calm old rock, feisty only when her rock is disturbed to reveal dust beneath. My favourite scene was when Linda Bassett listens to her daughters' enthused confused explanation of a piece of music and simply radiates in her daughter's happiness, even as the words wash over her. 4 stars. :)

#37 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostThe Glenbuck Laird, on 27 October 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

Accents and speech reminded me of my milltown friend, and he is old. Linda Bassett could easily have been his dear ole mam.

Accents are Norfolk and - I was advised - accurate. Lovely gentle piece well done all round, I thought.
If I listed every show I'd seen since 1974 I'd get RSI.

Favourite Musicals: Blood Brothers; Brigadoon; Chicago; Chess; Chorus Line; Company; Evita; Follies; Godspell; Les Miserables; Little Night Music; Little Shop of Horrors; Mack and Mabel; Man of La Mancha; Merrily We Roll Along; Miss Saigon; Phantom of the Opera; Rent; Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific.

Favourite Plays: Beautiful Thing; Bent; Blithe Spirit; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Cherry Orchard; Dance of Death; Death of a Salesman; Endgame; Happy Days; Hedda Gabler; Henry IV (Parts I and II); Importance of Being Earnest; Little Foxes; Mother Courage; Private Lives; Shirley Valentine; Torch Song Trilogy; What the Butler Saw; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Wild Duck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users