#11 alec_e10

alec_e10

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

View Postjamescrispy94, on 12 October 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned here but London Road is due to be made as a film, directed by Rufus Norris and produced by the National Theatre, BBC Films and Cuba Pictures. Hopefully it should start filming next spring.

One of my favourite musicals but I cant see this working as a film - I dont think the general public will get it - jukebox it aint!
Its too clever by far for the average cinema goer

#12 Stage Hand

Stage Hand

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

i would welcome Sunset Bvld

#13 Ellebumblebee

Ellebumblebee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

I thought wicked was being turned into a film. I really so as I think the story would work well on the big screen. Also can you imagine the sets and effects?

#14 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1017 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:37 PM

View Postalec_e10, on 12 October 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

One of my favourite musicals but I cant see this working as a film - I dont think the general public will get it - jukebox it aint!
Its too clever by far for the average cinema goer
I think that's a little insulting!  There are plenty of cinemas which show thought-provoking, interesting films that aren't just commercial bait - or are not just shallow even if they are commercial bait.  London Road may well work as the former, and in doing so attract a different audience to movie musicals.

View PostEllebumblebee, on 12 October 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

I thought wicked was being turned into a film. I really so as I think the story would work well on the big screen. Also can you imagine the sets and effects?
The Wicked film has been talked about for years, but seems to be indefinitely on hold - certainly the original rumour of doing it with Menzel and Chenoweth won't work anymore!

#15 Joysie

Joysie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:13 PM

I'd love to see a film version of Book of Mormon but with them being so particular about the show's marketing (ie. basing it all on reviews instead of releasing clips/ promoting songs from the show) I v much doubt this would ever happen.

#16 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

I'm really apprehensive about them making a Wicked film - I don't think it lends itself to cinema at all. It's my favourite musical, but I just can't see it on the big screen - how could they ever do Popular justice? Would Defying Gravity really work if performed in the attic of a tower?

It seems to me a lot of the numbers work on stage regardless of their physical location writhing Oz, but it would make a difference on the boho screen.

Plus I don't want to see Dorothy, but suspect she'll need to make an appearance - you can't expect the audience to fill in the blanks on their own.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#17 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:28 PM

View Postjamescrispy94, on 12 October 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

Maybe it's because I'm not a huge fan of Phantom, but why does everyone not like the film? If anything I prefer it more than the 25th Concert recording! How on earth could it be any better?
oh so much was wrong with the film - they didn't find a filmic quality to the theatricality that is so much part of the theatre piece. Gerard Butler looked as is he had no more than an inconvenient rash. The caverns looked like a brightly lit Disney ride, and masquerade looked curiously under populated, and oh well the list goes on, but it really was an underpowered film with some interesting art direction.

#18 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:25 PM

View PostMrs Lovett, on 12 October 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

The wrong way round I know but I would genuinely love to see Grease 2 on stage

I had a friend felt the same way.  We had an intervention.  They're much better now.

#19 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:09 AM

View PostTitan, on 12 October 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

Sunset Blvd is screaming out to be a movie.  And id also like Phantom to be remade as the movie really was a let down

Sunset I believe is in limbo, problem lies with Paramount Pictures who owns the rights to the film, ALW mentioned on EP that if School of Rock is successful, he may discuss Sunset as a future with Paramount.

View PostKevinUK, on 12 October 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

I'm really apprehensive about them making a Wicked film - I don't think it lends itself to cinema at all. It's my favourite musical, but I just can't see it on the big screen - how could they ever do Popular justice? Would Defying Gravity really work if performed in the attic of a tower?

It seems to me a lot of the numbers work on stage regardless of their physical location writhing Oz, but it would make a difference on the boho screen.

Plus I don't want to see Dorothy, but suspect she'll need to make an appearance - you can't expect the audience to fill in the blanks on their own.

Wicked will happen since Universal is involved and they've had success with Les Mis, I imagine it'll happen sooner or later.

View PostJoysie, on 12 October 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

I'd love to see a film version of Book of Mormon but with them being so particular about the show's marketing (ie. basing it all on reviews instead of releasing clips/ promoting songs from the show) I v much doubt this would ever happen.

I imagine they'll launch a few more productions before a movie, Trey and Matt plus Scott Rudin who is the main producer are all experienced with filmmaking but its a question of when not if since Trey and Matt are busy with South Park.

#20 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:35 AM

I agree with Wicked not working as a movie. Personally, I'm convinced the reason it is so popular is because of the staging - that is what makes Wicked so popular imo.

La Cage Aux Folles could make a great movie. Tanz der Vampire is also begging for the movie treatment.
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users