18 replies to this topic

#1 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

There will be a reading in America this Friday (for a private audience - rehearsals have been happening this week) of a 'major' Revised Version of Stephen Sondheim's 1970 musical 'Company' that the Roundabout Theatre Company are looking at fully staging. Sondheim is working in collaboration with John Tiffany (director of 'Once') and has apparently been rewriting some lyrics and dialogue but "as little as possible".

The biggest changes include Bobby now being a "gay man with commitment issues and multiple boyfriends" - an idea by Tiffany - and the character of Joanne becoming male, who will be played by Alan Cumming in Friday's reading. Bobby will be played by the UK's very own Daniel Evans!

Thoughts?!

You can read the full article here: http://artsbeat.blog...&seid=auto&_r=0

(Yes, I know the 'C' of 'Company' should be a capital - I believe this is board glitch which takes the ' as a first letter and de-capitalizes whatever follows it!)
Somebody crowd me with love, somebody force me to care.
Somebody make me come through, I'll always be there as frightened as you of being alive.

#2 alec_e10

alec_e10

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

This sounds very interesting.
One of my favourite Sondheim shows.
About time it was done again in the UK as a major production.

#3 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

This does sound very interesting. I've loved Company from an early age, and whenever I see a new production it seems to say something new to me depending on my age and relationship status.

Last time I saw the Southwark Playhouse production I was engaged, now I'm in a civil partnership it would be fantastic to see this revised version! Fingers crossed it goes well and finds its way to the UK.
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#4 mrkringas

mrkringas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

Apparently the reading also involves Andrew Rannells, Michael Urie, and the adorable Bobby Steggert as the trio of boyfriends.

The five married couples are male/female but with women playing the male roles including Celia Keenan-Bolger.

I'm fascinated at the prospect of a re-conceived alternate version from Sondheim. And with that director.. If even a handful of the workshop cast made it to full production I would be on a plane asap.

#5 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

Very interesting indeed! Company includes some of my favourite Sondheim compositions it's exciting to hear that it's being re-imagined like this!
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#6 Viceroy

Viceroy

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:23 AM

View Postmusicalmadness, on 15 October 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

(Yes, I know the 'C' of 'Company' should be a capital - I believe this is board glitch which takes the ' as a first letter and de-capitalizes whatever follows it!)

Correct. It is bizarre and infuriating. My own personal hate is Rsc in the title because it won't accept capitals throughout.

#7 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

Hmmm. Really not sure how I feel about this. I'm all for 'relaunching' or reviving any musical to make it fresh and opening and appealing to an new audience and at times changes made but still, I dunno.

Maybe bause I never saw Bobby as being gay. A bit of a womaniser and a commitment phobe, yes; but not gay.
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#8 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

Yes, this sounds very interesting. Company is one of my favourite Sondheim shows. Although he has always said that Bobby is not gay in show - I have always felt there was an undercurrent in it. Probably a fantasy depending on who was playing Bobby - the last time I saw the show was with the gorgeous Adrian Lester - say no more! But the nature of the relationships in it has always spoken to me at various points in my life.

#9 mrkringas

mrkringas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

I think juxtaposing the inability for a gay man to commit to a monogamous relationship at a time when same sex marriage is available is an interesting one to examine.

Especially when coming from the generation that Sondheim represents.

#10 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:24 PM

I should hope they'll include the less offensive revision to the second line of "I could understand a person / if it's not a person's bag"...!
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users