#11 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:28 PM

View PostKevinUK, on 26 October 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

I'll go see this - we did it at A level and I managed an exam on the thing without having read it from cover to cover so it'll be nice to fill in some parts of the storyline, that maybe the film version missed (as long as they avoid Emmerdale's Shirley Stelfox/Edna recreating her prostitute!).
Are you proud of your exam technique or critical of the education system? I ask as one who wrote an essay on Moby Dick without reading it.

#12 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:14 AM

View PostLynette, on 26 October 2013 - 10:28 PM, said:

Are you proud of your exam technique or critical of the education system? I ask as one who wrote an essay on Moby Dick without reading it.

Education system - I would never ever recommend 'winging' an exam, and shudder at the thought now. But A level English Literature was not what I had anticipated: we went from months of studying Dr. Who (pre BBC revival, and for reasons I'm still unsure of), straight into 1984, and I was just discouraged by the whole thing.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#13 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

Poor you, it does sound awful. Needless to say I am of the 'Every word of two Shakespeares, a Jane Austen, Milton and Wordsworth' generation. Taught by a Leavisite. Truly old school. They should put me in a museum.

#14 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

Reminder to anyone waiting for public booking for further dates (e.g. at the Almeida), that this opened today.

#15 steveatplays

steveatplays

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

Although ostensibly sold out, the Almeida is offering a small number of tickets to Saturday's matinee to those who book this same day "Symposium on Radical Adaptation:"

http://www.almeida.c...ical-adaptation

Interestingly, I see American Psycho will also be discussed.

#16 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Went to this last night and had trouble staying awake. I wasn't the only one we were an audience of fidgets.

There were flashes of great stuff, but they were flashes of flash and it was hard to stay focused for the first 4ims or so.

It may have been much better in the dearer seats, a lot happens on screen which is not visible due to overhang for cheapskates like me and the monitors were tiny.

Still an almost full house, lots of teenagers, good for a Wednesday. One person left during the torture scenes.

#17 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

Well the whole run has been sold out for some time and the reviews made me want to see it; also, the latest reviews are enthusiastic.  However, I now have a dilemma as I've booked for today's matinee and have collected my ticket, but have a clash with a family event.  I can't really afford to lose the money and I won't have another chance to see the play (can't queue for returns as live too far away), but I can hardly tell relatives I'm choosing a play over them - and they assume everyone can do weekends, whereas a weekday would be easier for me.  Hmm!

#18 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:18 AM

Tell the relatives you're worried about strong winds or flooding, then go to the play
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#19 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

Go to the theatre, and afterwards contact the family to say you're really sorry you missed the event but you fell asleep. If they know you as well as we do, they'll believe you.

#20 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

When I tried to book for this the Almedia website was sold out for every show but then managed to get tickets through Headlong. I went on Tuesday. Really enjoyed it. Sat on back row of the stalls, an absolute steal at 8! Whole back row was empty though, frustrating for those who couldnt get seats.

Also tagged with Almeida, Headlong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users