5 replies to this topic

#1 Millie Dillmount

Millie Dillmount

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:01 PM

i had a conversation with someone sometime back and he was asking why people dont stage musicals by ivor novello anymore - its the same reason that people shouldnt stage musicals by irving berlin - they are terribly dated, and their wafer thin books show them for being the drivel that they are!!

having seen white christmas on broadway last year, this show makes w.c. look like it is terribly modern - or maybe it was the staging

thom southerland needs to tell his ensemble to a) project because only the leads are miked and cool.gif if you want to express emotion to the audience do so, dont just gurn at them!

the book is ultimately what lets this show down, but even so i would still recommend this limited run to anyone who has a chance to see it because of the terrific performance given by beverly klein who is amazing despite the fact that the material is just about as thin as it could possibly be

#2 GarethG

GarethG

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:48 AM

I saw the Sunday matinee yesterday and thought it was one of the best staged fringe musicals I've ever seen.  The cast are all great and Beverley Klein is superb as Sally Adams.  You could argue that the book is dated and thin - but that's true of many musicals of the 30s to 50s - and that doesn't make it any less enjoyable.  The books of most modern jukebox musicals are thin (Mama Mia anyone?) as are the books of many modern original musicals (Cats?  Starlight Express? Wicked?) The score is wonderful and beautifully sung and the choreography magnificent.  Having really not enjoyed Thom Sutherland's "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" I thought he did a great job with this.  Thoroughly recommended!

#3 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:00 AM

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one.  What's happened to Mark Henry-Evans though?  I thought he was playing Kenneth but everything I've read about 'Call Me Madam' since has said that Kenneth is played by Chris Love?  Did Mark drop out or something?

#4 TheatreAndy

TheatreAndy

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE(Ryan @ Jul 24 2009, 10:00 AM) View Post
I'm really looking forward to seeing this one. What's happened to Mark Henry-Evans though? I thought he was playing Kenneth but everything I've read about 'Call Me Madam' since has said that Kenneth is played by Chris Love? Did Mark drop out or something?

I think he might have gone off to do a film in Eastern Europe!  Chris Love, howewer, plays the part of Kenneth superbly though.  I loved this show, even if some of the cast are a bit 'young'.  What they lack in years, they make up for in enthusiasm amd are a delight to watch!

#5 TheatreAndy

TheatreAndy

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE(Ryan @ Jul 24 2009, 10:00 AM) View Post
I'm really looking forward to seeing this one. What's happened to Mark Henry-Evans though? I thought he was playing Kenneth but everything I've read about 'Call Me Madam' since has said that Kenneth is played by Chris Love? Did Mark drop out or something?

#6 Guest_JohnnyFox_*

Guest_JohnnyFox_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE(TheatreAndy @ Aug 3 2009, 03:40 PM) View Post
I think he might have gone off to do a film in Eastern Europe!  Chris Love, howewer, plays the part of Kenneth superbly though.  I loved this show, even if some of the cast are a bit 'young'.  What they lack in years, they make up for in enthusiasm amd are a delight to watch!

Chris Love is excellent as Kenneth Gibson.  The rest of the supporting cast look as though Beverley Klein has invited her grandchildren round to tea, but they work darned hard and some of the choreography is brilliant in such a small space.  The whole show's miked by the way, heaven knows why because the theatre's the size of my living room and Klein could, in most circumstances, fill a large hall without any assistance.

The boys playing the politicans are the most inconguous, particularly as you have to be 25 to be elected to Congress, and 30 to be a Senator.

But why let accuracy spoil a good show.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users