• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 In the Know

In the Know

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, television, films, reading. travelling, politics and football

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:55 PM

Now that she recieved the Olivier Nomination - do you think she will stay on in the show. I believe her contract was due for renewal shortly. If not who could replace her ?

I can remember seeing Dick Emery's Wife in The Rink, when I was a young lad ........ cant think of her name , but is she still around ?

#2 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE(In the Know @ Feb 13 2007, 11:55 PM) View Post
Now that she recieved the Olivier Nomination - do you think she will stay on in the show. I believe her contract was due for renewal shortly. If not who could replace her ?

I can remember seeing Dick Emery's Wife in The Rink, when I was a young lad ........ cant think of her name , but is she still around ?

Josephine Blake - a fantastic performer, who could liven up the least interesting of shows. I read that she had retired which is a sad loss to musical theatre.

#3 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE(Tintin @ Feb 14 2007, 07:35 AM) View Post
Josephine Blake - a fantastic performer, who could liven up the least interesting of shows. I read that she had retired which is a sad loss to musical theatre.

I dont believe I've ever seen her peform.
What other shows has she been in?

#4 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:37 AM

I heard a rumour they were after Judi Dench to replace her in cabaret

#5 Guest_Guest_brian_*_*

Guest_Guest_brian_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:53 PM

I remember seeing Josephine Douglas in a number of musicals at the Manchester Wythenshawe Forum. She was excellent in "Gypsy" (one of the best Mama's I have seen), "Follies" and "The Rink".

If she could be persuaded to come out of retirement she would make an excellent Frau. Schroeder.

#6 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:32 PM

Josephine Blake, not Josephine Douglas, who was on Six-Five Special (now, doesn't that date us?). Yes, Ms Blake was terrific in The Rink, but I actually remember her as one of the leading dancers in the original production of Kismet, then later in Strike A Light. I wish I could have seen her as Nikki in Sweet Charity, and also in Follies, although I was very lucky to see her in a concert version of the latter. She was the only good thing about the awful show Jean Seberg at the NT, and was one of a marvellous group of performers at the Donmar in a Kander & Ebb revue. They don't make em' like that any more!

#7 In the Know

In the Know

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, television, films, reading. travelling, politics and football

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE(Tintin @ Feb 15 2007, 07:32 PM) View Post
Josephine Blake, not Josephine Douglas, who was on Six-Five Special (now, doesn't that date us?). Yes, Ms Blake was terrific in The Rink, but I actually remember her as one of the leading dancers in the original production of Kismet, then later in Strike A Light. I wish I could have seen her as Nikki in Sweet Charity, and also in Follies, although I was very lucky to see her in a concert version of the latter. She was the only good thing about the awful show Jean Seberg at the NT, and was one of a marvellous group of performers at the Donmar in a Kander & Ebb revue. They don't make em' like that any more!

Do you reckon they could talk her out of retirement for the right project - she cant be older than Angela Lansbury say

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users