#1 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3755 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

The first two shows of 2014 to open in the Hampstead main house will be:

Rapture, Blister, Burn by Gina Gionfirddo who is reunited with director Peter DuBois following Becky Shaw at the Almeida

Can any woman have it all? After university Catherine and Gwen chose opposite paths: Catherine built a career as a rock-star academic, while Gwen built a home with a husband and children. Decades later, unfulfilled in opposite ways, each woman covets the other’s life, and a dangerous game begins as each tries to claim the other’s territory.

and

Good People by David Linsday-Abaire, directed by Jonathan Kent. The cast is rumoured to include Imelda Staunton. (Now confirmed)

In South Boston you’re starting on the wrong side of the tracks, so just making ends meet will require all the energy you can muster. And when sharp-tongued single-mother Margie loses yet another job she’ll do anything it takes to pay the bills. Hearing that an old boyfriend who has made good is in town, she decides to corner him – with unexpected results all round. Pulitzer Prize winner David Lindsay-Abaire’s funny and tender drama explores how even if you live on the brink, destiny can have a way of surprising you.

Having originally premiered on Broadway, Good People won the New York Drama Critics Circle Award for Best Play of the Year. David won the Pulitzer Prize for his critically acclaimed Rabbit Hole, which also earned several Tony Award nominations – his film adaptation of Rabbit Hole starred Nicole Kidman.

Both should go on public sale tomorrow.

#2 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

Excellent - the world desperately needs another 'can women have it all?' play...

#3 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

Rapture, Blister, Burn recently completed a successful run in LA.  Good reviews.  Amy Brenneman starred. I'm told it's very smart and very funny.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#4 zahidf

zahidf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

Looks good! The imelda staunton one especially.

#5 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

Emilia Fox stars in Rapture, Blister, Burn
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#6 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

I've booked for Good People, purely cos Imelda Staunton is on my list of "I'll see them in anything".
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#7 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:49 AM

Booked for both as they sound like interesting plays.

#8 1234chainsaw

1234chainsaw

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

View Postfringefan, on 16 November 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:

Booked for both as they sound like interesting plays.

Ditto. I'll also be curious to see what they'll offer Downstairs. It's been a good run there this year.

#9 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

Just announced that Sunny Afternoon, the story of Ray Davies and The Kinks will run April to May, with book by Joe Penhall.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#10 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:00 PM

I shall book for this, too, when public booking opens, but I wonder why they couldn't have announced this with the rest of the season and allowed booking for all at once?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users