- - - - -

8 Shows A Week, What Do We Think About This?

Musical theatre

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#11 Snciole

Snciole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:27 PM

I think the demand for matinees is what keeps theatreland going. I think the fact that the majority of plays have their Sundays/Mondays off (I know NT and The Commitments are exceptions) is good for theatres and performers but I worry that many good performers will be run into the ground because of the demands and expectations.

#12 mystifyre

mystifyre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

Wasn't there some big discussion about there being a possible introduction of 8 shows a week, meaning theatre actors would have to perform on Sundays in addition to every other day of the week? I don't know what decision was made in the end, whether it is to be implemented in the future or not, but I remember reading other actors' views on it and it hadn't gone down too well, understandably.

#13 wetheatreboy

wetheatreboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:25 PM

mystifyre, on 28 November 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

Wasn't there some big discussion about there being a possible introduction of 8 shows a week, meaning theatre actors would have to perform on Sundays in addition to every other day of the week?

We already work 8 shows a week. That's normally 6 days a week, with a day off.

Some shows move one of their shows to Sundays, typically the Monday evening performance. SOLT were trying to get the automatic right for producers to have two shows on a Sunday, but the deal agreed means that you have to get the consent of the full company before doing this.

Previously you had the option of renegotiating your contract for two shows on a Sunday, but Equity got rid of that option along with some more extra payments (which seems to happen with every SOLT negotiation) and you now get a standard Sunday rate.

#14 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1226 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

Sunday matinee shows tend to sell better than Monday evenings and there is/was a push for these with performers having Sunday and Monday evenings off. Producers preferring the better selling performance on a Sunday but actors resisting in that is the only "family" day off together. But still only 8 shows a week unless doing panto or the tour of Joseph when the company are expected to do up to 12 shows per 6 days!

#15 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:54 AM

West End casts are often called for rehearsals during the week if they are swings or understudies. Their contract is normally, I believe, a 35- or 40-hour week before they qualify for overtime. It would be unusual for them to work that much every week, but particularly on big long-running West End musicals with new teams of kids coming in every 3-6 months doing 3 or 4 maximum-hour weeks every few months is quite common.
Ooh, that Bernadette Shaw - what a chatterbox!

#16 poppy7

poppy7

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

Orchestrator, on 30 November 2013 - 12:54 AM, said:

West End casts are often called for rehearsals during the week if they are swings or understudies. Their contract is normally, I believe, a 35- or 40-hour week before they qualify for overtime. It would be unusual for them to work that much every week, but particularly on big long-running West End musicals with new teams of kids coming in every 3-6 months doing 3 or 4 maximum-hour weeks every few months is quite common.
And if they are in rep they are, at least for some of the time, rehearsing one play and performing another at night. Some actors for a period will be filming bits and pieces and acting at night on stage. It's your job you do it. I would be much more adverse to working Sundays, its a good day to have off and most of the rest of the world are off too. In regard to the voice, any career which involves you projecting your voice for hours on end, teaching, acting, barristering whatever (singing is slightly different) requires that you are trained how to mind and preserve that voice. Losing your voice at times is part of it but most know how to mind it most of the time.

Also tagged with Musical theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users