#1 PriscillaCraze

PriscillaCraze

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

Hello guys

My name is Robert Jones, and I am looking to start a career in Theatre. I am supposed to be moving to Cardiff next year so putting my career on hold till then, just planning at the moment. Ideally I would love to work as FOH or sales assistant, I am quite flexible in the theatre industry and I would like to cover different roles and gain experience from it if possible.

I have my heart set on getting some work experience or a job if possible at Wales Millennium in Cardiff which is a huge theatre that supports many musicals and plays that come to this theatre. I have had a few work skills such as Stewarding at a music festival, working as an Arts Leader, studied at Art College for 3 years covering all areas etc. I absolutely love organising and managing events which is a part of my hobby, and I have had comments from my friends/family that I should work in events management. I assume organisation/management is extremely important in Theatre industry?

Can anyone give me advice on this? Do you need a particular set of skills to work in theatre such as the Wales millennium?

Thanks all :)

#2 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:52 PM

FOH jobs aren't too hard to get, well... it's luck and charisma and putting yourself forward and being able to shine in a group interview and more. But If you are interested in theatre and can prove you have people skills then you are in with a good shot, but the smaller the theatre the higher the chance of a job. FOH also means you will meet a variety of people doing jobs you didn't even know existed and find out if any of them particularly interest you,

But if you are interested in the management side of theatre, I'd start writing off to production companies and theatres about internships. It'll soon tell you if you want to work in theatre management.

Also tagged with Musical Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users