18 replies to this topic

#1 AddisonMizner

AddisonMizner

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

It looks like a new Watermill Theatre production of CALAMITY JANE, starring Jodie Prenger is going out on tour this year. It's running at Nottingham's Theatre Royal from 7th-11th October 2014:

http://www.trch.co.uk/index.aspx?articleid=26615

I love this show, as I've done a production of it myself and have fond memories of it, but I can't say that I'm loving the casting of Jodie in the lead. Nothing against her - I'm just not a fan!
Theatre 2014: Putting It Together (St. James Theatre) *****  Candide (Menier Chocolate Factory) *****  Les Miserables ***  Gounod: Faust (ROH) ****  Urinetown (St. James Theatre) *****  Ades: Powder Her Face (ENO at Ambika P3) ****

#2 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

Possibly she a little to brash?
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#3 Beth

Beth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:07 PM

Has anyone any news on where this tour might go?

#4 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:23 AM

View PostAddisonMizner, on 10 January 2014 - 08:35 PM, said:

It looks like a new Watermill Theatre production of CALAMITY JANE, starring Jodie Prenger is going out on tour this year. It's running at Nottingham's Theatre Royal from 7th-11th October 2014:

http://www.trch.co.uk/index.aspx?articleid=26615

I love this show, as I've done a production of it myself and have fond memories of it, but I can't say that I'm loving the casting of Jodie in the lead. Nothing against her - I'm just not a fan!

What a waste. I can think of quite a few people who I would pay to see a few times as Calamity Jane - including several girls from the ALW shows who look and sound just right to me, can act and do US accents, and excel singing that era of songs.  Jodie Prenger wouldn't be  on my list - more like Bab's northern aunty in a Carry On Cowboy version.

#5 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

View PostAnthony, on 10 January 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

Possibly she a little to brash?
I rather like Jodie.  She's a bit cabaret, a bit cruise ship and a whole lot of Carry On but she's got a wonderful charisma if you like her 'nudge nudge wink wink' style (which I do).  To me she is kind of Merman-esque in that she probably has a bigger personality than the part requires but I think she'd give 'Calamity Jane' a good go actually.  She's certainly an old style of musical actress and she'd definitely bring out the comedy side of it anyway, she was smashing in 'Spamalot' I thought.  And she'll belt those songs out like nobody's business!!

#6 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

View PostRyan, on 12 January 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

I rather like Jodie.  She's a bit cabaret, a bit cruise ship and a whole lot of Carry On but she's got a wonderful charisma if you like her 'nudge nudge wink wink' style (which I do).  To me she is kind of Merman-esque in that she probably has a bigger personality than the part requires but I think she'd give 'Calamity Jane' a good go actually.  She's certainly an old style of musical actress and she'd definitely bring out the comedy side of it anyway, she was smashing in 'Spamalot' I thought.  And she'll belt those songs out like nobody's business!!
I actually agree, she has a decent belty voice and can do comedy and let's face it, calamity jane is a comedy, not some piece of serious, deep theatre. Might work. Always wanted to see this show on stage so quite open to this if it happens.

#7 JME52K

JME52K

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:42 PM

She was on The Graham Norton show yesterday. She's lost a lot of weight and is promoting a video.    This one WORKS, but a she has been a yoyo dieter for years, we'll wait and see ;-). She also spoke   about Calamity Jane. I'm in the 'liking' her group so if it comes to my home town, I will go and see it. I've seen her quite a few times and boy does she have a voice.

#8 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostRyan, on 12 January 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

I agree too. She's not your preferred Lady Macbeth, but what she does she does well.
If I listed every show I'd seen since 1974 I'd get RSI.

Favourite Musicals: Blood Brothers; Brigadoon; Chicago; Chess; Chorus Line; Company; Evita; Follies; Godspell; Les Miserables; Little Night Music; Little Shop of Horrors; Mack and Mabel; Man of La Mancha; Merrily We Roll Along; Miss Saigon; Phantom of the Opera; Rent; Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific.

Favourite Plays: Beautiful Thing; Bent; Blithe Spirit; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Cherry Orchard; Dance of Death; Death of a Salesman; Endgame; Happy Days; Hedda Gabler; Henry IV (Parts I and II); Importance of Being Earnest; Little Foxes; Mother Courage; Private Lives; Shirley Valentine; Torch Song Trilogy; What the Butler Saw; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Wild Duck.

#9 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:35 PM

View PostSchuttep, on 13 January 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

I agree too. She's not your preferred Lady Macbeth, but what she does she does well.
Oh I don't know, I'd rather like to see her have a go at Lady Macbeth now that you mention it.... :D

#10 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:45 AM

Intetested to see the show again. Calamity Jane af the Shaftesbury with Toyah Wilcox is still one of the worst shows Ive seen in London

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users