64 replies to this topic

#31 sunshine2011

sunshine2011

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:46 AM

I'm glad this thread is here, the link to the FAQ site is useful. Have booked £5 front row amphitheatre seats for The Winter's Tale - I guess you can't be robbed for a fiver!

#32 Coated peanut

Coated peanut

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

A week or two after public booking start, the ROH releases unsold wheelchair spaces and some other held back tickets, always worth checking if you missed out on tickets.

I tend to book upper slips for opera (viewing isn't that important compared to sound IMHO, you'll miss about 1/4 of the stage) and save my pennies for ballet.

With stall seats, it's worth avoiding before H unless your tall-ish. Practically no rake until about the middle of the stalls. Row A to the very side has distracting metal bits over the Orchestra bit, but is otherwise ok unless you are very short. The one to really avoid is row B. One tall person and you have a very expensive listening seat.

#33 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

A bunch of seats for most dates of Faust have appeared on the ROH site. Just cracked and booked.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#34 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

Anna Netrebko has decided "the role is not right" for her and pulled out. ROH hunting for a replacement
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#35 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

That woman flakes more than a scalp of dandruff

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#36 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

Glad I didn't book for Faust in order to see Netrebko. Hoping the cancelling won't become contagious! I would like to see Terfel, Keenlyside & Montague.

#37 Coated peanut

Coated peanut

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:11 AM

Does anyone still book for Netrebko and expect her to show? It's a nice surprise when she does show up, though.

Mr Terfel is doing the opposite of Netrebko and agreed to do more performances at the ROH, filling in as Scarpio in 3 Toscas in June. I took that as 'you win some, you lose some' and snagged a standing ticket for an extra Tosca.

#38 AddisonMizner

AddisonMizner

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

It is a real shame about Netrebko, as I was really looking forward to seeing/hearing her live, but I want to see Bryn, Simon and Joseph more, so I am still more than happy.
Theatre 2014: Putting It Together (St. James Theatre) *****  Candide (Menier Chocolate Factory) *****  Les Miserables ***  Gounod: Faust (ROH) ****  Urinetown (St. James Theatre) *****  Ades: Powder Her Face (ENO at Ambika P3) ****

#39 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

Might have to book for Bryn...

#40 jean_hunt

jean_hunt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

Yes, it's Terfel and Keenlyside I'm keen to see also. Not that disappointed to lose Netrebko - saw her in the Met Onegin and found her technique rather "gaspy".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users