2 replies to this topic

#1 VelmaMaureen

VelmaMaureen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:30 PM

Okay, I've been thinking about this for a long time and have decided that I want to be a producer. I don't neccesarily want to be a commercial producer, just want to earn enough to get by. I'm 15, and will have to choose what I do for A levels in November, so I was wondering if anyone could advise me what would be the best subjects to take? My school career's advisor doesn't really know much about theatre, so I was wondering if anyone on here could help me?

Also, what else should I do? I'm working as an assistant on an amateur production this summer, but what would be the best university course to take? Or the best place to go? It all sounds so confusing. Would it be worth doing some training in technical theatre as well? Any help would be appreciated!

#2 Guest_Guest_woodpusher_*_*

Guest_Guest_woodpusher_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE(VelmaMaureen @ Jul 18 2009, 05:30 PM) View Post
Okay, I've been thinking about this for a long time and have decided that I want to be a producer. I don't neccesarily want to be a commercial producer, just want to earn enough to get by. I'm 15, and will have to choose what I do for A levels in November, so I was wondering if anyone could advise me what would be the best subjects to take? My school career's advisor doesn't really know much about theatre, so I was wondering if anyone on here could help me?

Also, what else should I do? I'm working as an assistant on an amateur production this summer, but what would be the best university course to take? Or the best place to go? It all sounds so confusing. Would it be worth doing some training in technical theatre as well? Any help would be appreciated!

Producers don't know the first thing about technical theatre - so you can cross that one off...

If anyone's ever seen Messrs. Codron, Weldon, Pugh et al. in the grid, do let me know...

#3 Kitty Gib

Kitty Gib

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:22 PM

I would also love to be a producer!

I did some work experience in London at Easter and asked the stage manager of Private Peaceful how I would get in to theatre. She said to get as much experience of live theatre as possible, see all sorts of shows and plays, she then said that if I was serious about it then I should get more work experience by writing to people, you normally find the info on show websites of people like Bill Kenwright's page.

I went to the Billy Elliot offices the other week and met the assident producer there who said that the best thing to do is to do A levels in Theatre studies/Drama and then go to drama school or take a university course - she said if you were to go to uni, take something like english or history and you could help out with the uni shows.

Or she said that you could also just get into your local theatre near you and get work experience there and then ask to join as a member of the team - work your way up to the top sort of thing!

Good Luck!
xxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users