- - - - -

Evita video on WOS (or any video to that point) - WHY!?!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 operabitch

operabitch

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:57 PM

Does the WOS team get some perverse pleasure from flash video?!

For some reason, they have decided that a silent website was not working, so the have stuck the b***dy annoying video back on - this time with no controls so you can't even turn the damn thing off!!

Is advertising revenue still that desperately needed on WOS when over a third of the page is taken up with half arsed attempts at ticket offers as it is?!

Rant over.

OB.

#2 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:02 PM

I am disgusted by this.  Was enjoying the silence.  WOS were highly aware of visitors' sentiments towards these irritating videos and it almost seems like a deliberate slap in the face to us all by removing the controls.

I shall no longer be visiting the main page or clicking on their crap advert links.

Appalled.

#3 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:10 PM

Oh stop overreacting.  Yes it's annoying but to refuse to visit the main page is just silly.
I won't be called a baggage!

#4 operabitch

operabitch

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:15 PM

Either way, it's still damn annoying.

OB

#5 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:02 PM

"Smoke, Mr. Braithwaite!"

#6 David

David

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:06 PM

I have yet to see/hear the Evita advert, but I grew to loathe the Billy E and Porgy and Bess ones- the lack of controls is particularly annoying, since I have no physical mute button on my laptop!

#7 JR1

JR1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:24 PM

Why not just turn your sound off before you hit the WOS site?

#8 operabitch

operabitch

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:26 PM

I don't think users of any website should have to turn off their sound - it's fair to have advertising in various forms start when you visit a site (music, banners and even video), but you should at least get the option to opt out of it and not have to be forced to listen/watch it. Most websites that include this will always have a 'close' button or something.

I think the issue is not that the video is there, it's that you can't stop it!

OB

#9 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:59 PM

It's one of the mysteries of Whatsonstage that they insist on inflicting offensive video ads which guarantee that a proportion of their readers will navigate away from the front page as swiftly as possible - thereby ensuring that they don't get a sense of what's to see and what's new. I too was enjoying the recent silence, and for the first time in months I was starting to explore the byways of the site. That is now lost to me once more. My computers both at home and at work are in shared spaces, so I could not possibly allow these offensive ads to play even if I wanted to (and God knows I don't). I just have to get away asap, and if others do the same then WOS is as much the loser in this as I am.

The other obvious loser is the misguided promoter who thinks that Billy Elliot or Porky & Bess or Evita is going to make new converts by slamming their precious noise, uninvited, into the ear of the unwary surfer.

I appreciate that WOS has grown from a cottage industry into a big concern whose editorial section is at one remove from its marketing arm. Good luck to you for making such a success of it. But Terri et al., do you really have no influence over those insensitive colleagues who damage your site in this way? Shame on... well, someone.

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users