Biddy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:32 PM

RTE website has an article entitled Connie worked too hard says Lloyd Webber

The article includes:

Lloyd Webber said: "Connie did an injury to her throat muscle because she got a cold and she tried to sing through a cold."
"She did 98 performances and was determined to do eight performances a week and should have done the six performances we originally announced. And she was signing autographs for 400 people in the cold," he said.

"You have to protect them. The public think they own her now. Connie feels a responsibility to be the people's Maria."

#22 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE(samo @ Mar 23 2007, 06:00 PM) View Post
It's not fair to blame Connie, blame producers/ creative team (RUG & LN) if anyone for letting Connie go ahead and do an 8 show week, its too much for any West End leading lady, especially one so young and (relatively) inexperienced at doing Long Running (west-end) shows.

(Baffled) Huh? I've known people do eight shows a week when in their teens. Lead roles, West End shows, one-year contracts.

I don't think it's asking too much of someone to expect them to turn in a normal working week. If Miss Fisher can't do it right now because of ill health that's just bad luck. She managed it well enough for half a year, as I would expect any professional to have done.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#23 thelastunicorn

thelastunicorn

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:20 PM

i HAVE to see Aoife in SOM

she was so good in Chicago..brilliant!!

shes great!!

#24 samo

samo

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:04 AM

Yes, some Leading Ladies can manage eight show weeks, but mainly you'll find these are seasoned professionals who have trained their voices to give power-house performances night after night (for a year) not 'graduates' out of a 2/3year MT course at drama school! Maria is a reasonably (I'm by no way saying the most) vocally demanding part in the West-End and I honestly don't think many other young 'professionals' would do a eight-show week. I don't have the time to do the research now but I know (I think I actually read an article about it not long ago) currently not many west-end leading ladies  do eight-show weeks, just off the top of my head I know 'Elena Rodgers' certainly has an alternative in Evita.

x

#25 Biddy

Biddy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:11 PM

Anyone seen Aoife's Maria yet?  
(I gather she was supposed to start this week, Monday Nights & Wednesday Matinees.)

#26 emkay

emkay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:03 PM

I'm fairly sure she starts this Monday.

#27 Biddy

Biddy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:53 AM

Oh: I only know it was originally announced as from Monday 9th (as per first post in this thread - & various Press reports).

#28 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:41 AM

ALW must surely have known that someone as inexperienced as Connie would not be able to sustain such a demanding role for 8 performances a week without doing harm to her voice. It is just a matter of greed, greed, greed - a characteristic not totally unkown to the man - and in the process he may be ruining the career of a young woman. He has a lot to answer for and covering up his mistake by having another contestant take over some performances, which is something he could have considered right from the start, is not going to hide that fact.

#29 Biddy

Biddy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 01:41 PM

Evening Standard article seems to think it's NEXT Monday Aoife's starting, not LAST.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users