- - - - -

POLL! Video or No video?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Video or No Video?! (50 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see a Whatsonstage main page without Video?!

1. Yes (42 votes [84.00%])

Percentage of vote: 84.00%

2. No (5 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. Oo! A new video! (3 votes [6.00%])

Percentage of vote: 6.00%

Vote

#11 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:41 PM

Hate them, hate them, hate them.

#12 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Mar 25 2007, 11:37 AM) View Post
In previous incarnations of this thread, the WOS team have claimed they receive many emails from people who love listening to the same snatch of music every time they visit the site (though not one of these people has ever posted to that effect). What has happened to all these supporters, I wonder?

Since long before the World Wide Web, back when Usenet was the killer application on the Internet, it has generally been accepted that any claim to the effect that an unpopular position had hordes of hidden supporters (who expressed their opinions through email but for some reason never spoke up in public) could be taken as meaning "My position is indefensible". It was a common strategy for someone on the losing side of an argument: if you had nobody speaking up in support of your position, pretend that people did support you but were afraid to speak out. Someone wrote a song about it to the tune of My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean: "The lurkers support me in email":

The Lurkers support me in email
They all think I'm great, don't you know.
You posters just don't understand me
But soon you will reap what you sow.

Lurkers, lurkers, lurkers support me, you'll see, you'll see
Off in e-mail the lurkers support me, you'll see.

The lurkers support me in e-mail
"So why don't they post?" you all cry
They're scared of your hostile intentions
They just can't be as brave as I.

(chorus)

One day I'll round up all my lurkers
We'll have a newsgroup of our own
Without all this flak from you morons
My lurkers will post round my throne.

(chorus)

(It doesn't scan too well. I hate it when bad poets do that.)

QUOTE(Marius @ Mar 28 2007, 05:50 PM) View Post
I do find it odd that so many people dont just mute their computer, I find the general clicky noises etc computers make everytime you do something or the noises when pop ups come up more annoying.

How many times does this have to be said? It's not about the sound. If you're working for a company that prohibits access to streaming media content, by the time you mute the computer it's too late. The company's network has already registered the fact that you've broken the rules and you're in trouble. Just the fact that you've started to download the streaming media gets you into trouble, whether it's silent or not. It's the effect on the network that matters, not the effect on your coworkers.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#13 tadpole

tadpole

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:20 PM

I don't believe anything was ever successfully promoted by driving people screaming up the wall.

#14 David

David

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE(tadpole @ Mar 28 2007, 07:20 PM) View Post
I don't believe anything was ever successfully promoted by driving people screaming up the wall.

That's a very good point- I was actually put off going to Billy Eliot by the advert a few weeks/months back (just before I stopped visiting the homepage). It's a shame, because I used to like the news pages- now I just use The Stage/the boards for news.

#15 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:07 AM

As with Ian, I also have a firewall installed. This is the Norton one. So, I, too, was unaware that this horrid intrusion is still going on until I read this thread. I thoroughly recommend the use of one of these installatons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users