18 replies to this topic

#11 scumdriver

scumdriver

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Mar 29 2007, 07:26 AM) View Post
Yes. Check the Young Vic web site - all the exciting details are there .... sadly I think I have other plans that .... errr .... month.

Brock

get the **** out of theatre. please. before we all kill you.

#12 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE(scumdriver @ Apr 3 2007, 12:11 AM) View Post
Brock

get the **** out of theatre. please. before we all kill you.

Always please to hear from a fan of e e cummings. Thank you for your contribution to the discussion.

#13 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Apr 3 2007, 08:01 AM) View Post
Always please to hear from a fan of e e cummings. Thank you for your contribution to the discussion.

laugh.gif for the second time in this thread.

#14 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:21 AM

Seeing as we're into double figures of posts in this thread without an actual comment on the production itself yet I thought I'd be the first, having seen it yesterday. It's very good, with a lovely performance from Anastasia Hille as the woman preparing to leave her home and husband in order to avoid being rounded up. The first 12 minutes are a wordless depiction of her frantically trying to decide what to pack and what valuables to take - I found it a very compelling sequence. As the piece progresses, an eerie and sinister background hum pulses louder and louder, like some approaching menace. The detailed bedroom set is terrific and very atmospheric, really beautifully lit. I had to chuckle to myself at the end when, having gone almost an entire production with none of the Mitchell "trademarks" we often joke about, there is a brief switch into her slow-motion thing. I welcomed it like an old friend, and overall came away happy.

By contrast, it's paired with Rory Bremner's translation of A Respectable Wedding, which is very funny and fast-paced, coming across like Ayckbourn on speed. It's staged in a tiny set perched up on scaffolding. The cast of 8 have to really squeeze themselves in. It reminded me a bit of the NT revival of An Inspector Calls. It works though. If you're yet to see it, due to the height of the set and depending on your seating preferences you might want to arrive early enough to grab a seat further back so you're level with the set.

Wedding is staged in the Maria space which you access from the street (leave the building and turn right), while Wife is in the Clare which you enter to the right of the bar area. I think the 'early' shows have Wife 1st.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#15 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for this review, Backdrifter. I'm kicking myself for not having booked while there were still seats to be had.

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#16 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:42 AM

Yes, depsite all the negative opinions of those who don't like the director, it sold out before press night and got excellent reviews. I'm not a fan of Katie Mitchell but clearly plenty of people are - it seems extraordinary to start a thread just to solicit negative reviews of a very popular show by an acclaimed director.

#17 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:03 AM

No, I'm not exactly a fan of hers either. This is probably the 8th production of hers I've seen; I've enjoyed 3, found one okay, disliked 3 and absolutely hated one. But this doesn't make me want to avoid her work. If something sounds interesting, I'll see it. I hadn't realised this had sold out.

#18 Winona

Winona

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:38 PM

I am a KM fan for the record and I went to see the Jewish Wife which I thought was an excellent performace by Hillie, amazing. I actually think a lot of the things most people find irritating about KM's style of direction are not applicable in a small theatre space (the natural lighting, the lack of volume to make it seems real etc) so those who are not her fans may get on with this. Its a very poignant thing. And if youdont like it its only 30 mins!

Respectable wedding is good too, but very different and I would question the choice to pair them together. I saw it Jewish Wife first nad then Respectable Wedding which I think is the better wayto do it - dont think I would have liked it the other wayaround!
W+

#19 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:19 PM

That's the way around I thought I was seeing them. I'm sure I made a point of selecting the Wife-Wedding sequence and am convinced they switched it! (rather than, of course, admit I got it wrong in the first place). Re the pairing itself, I can understand people questioning it but personally I'm not bothered if there's no apparent link.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users