41 replies to this topic

#11 Alnoor

Alnoor

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:55 PM

I have to admit that last night the latecomers did disturb a lot of people.
I was in the ground section in row M.
The 2 latecomers had seats K 1 and 2.

To get to their seats they had to go past seats 12-11-10 etc
This will be clear if you look at a seating plan.

I do understand that sometimes the latecomers cannot do anything about being late, but sadly they do disturb others.

#12 MarieMJS

MarieMJS

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:2D/3D animation, cinema, books, plays, tap dancing, etc :D

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:28 PM

Im so envious...
I really hope I will be able to see it, Im planning on staying in front of the theater the day Im in Stratford and pray for a return ticket... Maybe with puppy eyes? LOL!

#13 Jenny_tyr

Jenny_tyr

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Mar 27 2007, 02:59 PM) View Post
To be honest I don't see why latecomers should be admitted at all (except at the interval) - even if it is "unavoidable" - it's like taking a plane, if you're there too late it will take off without you and no amount of bleating about unavoidable delays will change that. It is discourteous to those who managed to get there in time to have a group of people barge in during the action.

I absolutely agree, if theatres started to live by the "no latecomers"-policy people would pay attention to the start time, and actually show up on time. And as the terms and conditions on the back of the RSC's tickets (and those of other theatres) state:

"If you arrive later than the advertised start time then you may be asked to wait until a suitable break in the performance before you can take your seat. This may be the interval."

What exactly would constitute a "suitable break in the performance" when admitting latecomers to their seats wouldn't disturb everybody else? Can you thing of any such, apart from the interval?

http://groups.yahoo....re_and_Company/
http://blogs.whatson.../rsc-histories/

#14 David

David

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(Jenny_tyr @ Mar 27 2007, 05:16 PM) View Post
I absolutely agree, if theatres started to live by the "no latecomers"-policy people would pay attention to the start time, and actually show up on time. And as the terms and conditions on the back of the RSC's tickets (and those of other theatres) state:

"If you arrive later than the advertised start time then you may be asked to wait until a suitable break in the performance before you can take your seat. This may be the interval."

What exactly would constitute a "suitable break in the performance" when admitting latecomers to their seats wouldn't disturb everybody else? Can you thing of any such, apart from the interval?

I think it probably depends on the theatre policy and/or the staff. Whilst I agree entirely that people shouldn't be admitted if they arrive late, I sympathise with any Front of House worker who has to have a miserable would-be audience member cluttering up the foyer for an hour. I imagine it would be worse if people are genuinely upset at missing the start of the show, but it could also be quite bad if the latecomers are those of the 'it's my ticket and therefore my right to turn up whenever I like' school (I sincerely hope this is a very small group!)

Back to the point where I started, a suitable break in most people's view would be the interval, but in a low paid usher's view it might be the blackout after act i, scene i!

#15 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:02 PM

We went to see The Tempest at Stratford a few months ago.. it started at 7.30. We live approximately just over 2 hours away, but left at about 2.30 to allow time for traffic, and also to get some food before the show.

There was a major road accident not far from the junction for Stratford and we sat in traffic for literally HOURS. Hundreds of people (at least 4 coach loads, as well as dozens or more individual cars) headed for the performance got stuck in traffic. They held curtain until 7.45.. we arrived around 7.55 and there were dozens of people littering the foyer waiting. They did let us in at the next scene break.. we felt awful as our seats were in the middle of row B at the stalls so we had to go all the way forward but thankfully people were very understanding.

I think it would be unfair to have a blanket rule of no admission til the interval if you're late.. In this instance, you could hardly argue that we hadn't left sufficient travelling time, and I would have been more than slightly put out if I'd lost out on half of the play (not least because I don't know The Tempest terribly well so would probably have been thoroughly lost for most of the second act too).
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#16 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:12 PM

The RSC is not very good at pointing out when they vary the start time; I have had a couple of near misses there. They should mark it on the ticket more clearly. Am seeing Lear this weekend. I'll let you know..

#17 martin

martin

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:06 PM

oh god any idiot can read their ticket, if it says 7 then thats what it means! I do however agree with Jan Brock on one thing ( afirst as she is so consistently negative one wonders why she ever goes to the theatre!) Latecomers should not be allowed in til the interval

#18 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE(martin @ Mar 29 2007, 08:06 PM) View Post
oh god any idiot can read their ticket, if it says 7 then thats what it means! I do however agree with Jan Brock on one thing ( afirst as she is so consistently negative one wonders why she ever goes to the theatre!) Latecomers should not be allowed in til the interval

If I could direct your attention to the "Tempest" thread you will find me with a sunny disposition in postive mood - just one of many examples showing your comment to be somewhat reductive (which we have learned on this site is a very bad thing to be).

I wonder why RSC have shifted the start time to 7:00 ? It is a good move - I wish London theatres would do it.

#19 David

David

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Mar 30 2007, 10:09 AM) View Post
I wonder why RSC have shifted the start time to 7:00 ? It is a good move - I wish London theatres would do it.

Isn't it because, as someone further up suggested, they might have known that Nunn tends to do long shows? With Stratford it doesn't make much difference to me, but if London theatres did it I could probably see far more, and be able to get the last train back!

#20 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE(David @ Mar 30 2007, 02:35 PM) View Post
Isn't it because, as someone further up suggested, they might have known that Nunn tends to do long shows? With Stratford it doesn't make much difference to me, but if London theatres did it I could probably see far more, and be able to get the last train back!

Seagull starts at 7:00 also and that isn't nearly as long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users