It might be with Nunn directing...

#22 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:49 PM

The Deborah Warner Julius Caesar must have been a nightmare for people with long journeys - it didn't finish untill well after 11.  I know they have to start selling tickets before rehearsals start but surely directors must decide whether or not to go for a full text fairly early on?  It can be annoying to come out of the theatre knowing you've missed last orders (wasn't that why Les Mis was cut early on?) I remember racing to the bar after the NT Galileo and some poor folkk who had been in the middle of the row getting there too late to get a drink...

#23 Snout

Snout

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:26 PM

Sir Ian McKellen was on Radio 4 this morning talking about the role (rather heavy going in places). At one point, putting on an excellent accent, he recalled Sir John Gielgud's advice: "Find yourself a light Cordelia."
They're going to do more on this Lear on the Today programme on Monday, according to James Naughtie.

#24 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:51 PM

If this is for general discussion of the RSC Lear, then it might be worth mentioning the nudity issue:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/theatre/2007/0...grow_up_no.html

#25 David

David

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE(Duncan @ Mar 30 2007, 09:51 PM) View Post
If this is for general discussion of the RSC Lear, then it might be worth mentioning the nudity issue:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/theatre/2007/0...grow_up_no.html

Why does it have to be an 'issue'?

Is anybody here liable to be offended by nudity, if it makes artistic sense?

#26 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 10:50 AM

Well, if you read the article you'll find that some people clearly were offended so nudity is still an 'issue'.  Not entirely surprising - it would be illegal for Ian McKellen to strip naked in the road during a storm but it's legal during a play (though presumably if any of the audience tried it, they'd be arrested). Personally I'm not shocked by stage nudity but I do understand why people might be (the legal anomalies show it's still a major taboo).

Is there something they put in the tea of wizards to make themwant to strip off onstage?

#27 coated peanuts

coated peanuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(David @ Mar 31 2007, 11:26 AM) View Post
Why does it have to be an 'issue'?

Is anybody here liable to be offended by nudity, if it makes artistic sense?

Close proximity makes all the difference there to me. Whilst I'm not offended, I prefer to not have someone's genitalia right in front of my face. Especially if it comes with an olifactory experience. I once saw a one-woman show in a very small space where she was naked the entire time, and that did put me off nudity on stage. And small venues with no escape.

So in short, as long as I'm in row D and beyond, or the nudity is an integral part of the scene I have absolutely no problem with it.

#28 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Mar 31 2007, 11:50 AM) View Post
Well, if you read the article you'll find that some people clearly were offended so nudity is still an 'issue'.  Not entirely surprising - it would be illegal for Ian McKellen to strip naked in the road during a storm but it's legal during a play (though presumably if any of the audience tried it, they'd be arrested). Personally I'm not shocked by stage nudity but I do understand why people might be (the legal anomalies show it's still a major taboo).

Is there something they put in the tea of wizards to make themwant to strip off onstage?

I'll be willing to bet two things:-

a ) McKellen will not get the kind of publicity photoshoot that Radcliffe did, and

b ) Any photographs will not be passed around the world with the same sort of speed and interest as the Equus ones were!!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#29 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:09 AM

... also having a quiet, smutty, chortle at the title of this thread, given the way the subject has been subverted!   wub.gif
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#30 tomripley

tomripley

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE(Ian @ Mar 31 2007, 12:09 PM) View Post
... also having a quiet, smutty, chortle at the title of this thread, given the way the subject has been subverted!   wub.gif

The length is actually rather impressive. So I'm told.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users