#11 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5139 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE(shmoo @ Aug 15 2009, 06:50 AM) View Post
Wasn't he? Do you remember him spitting in Prospero's face when he released him at the end...?

Yep, I do , now you've reminded me! I've always thought that Ariel is a more tricky part than most productions have it.

#12 Trev

Trev

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(Lynette @ Aug 15 2009, 11:40 AM) View Post
Yep, I do , now you've reminded me! I've always thought that Ariel is a more tricky part than most productions have it.

I saw this production more than once in Stratford and in London and was surprised that they had cut the spitting by the time it reached London!

#13 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5139 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:36 PM

Really? 'Elf and safety?  rolleyes.gif

#14 kjb

kjb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:04 AM

A friend bumped in to Edward Bennett on Saturday, had a good natter with him and he said he's in the cast for the Bridge Project As You LIke It/The Tempest  with the Old Vic. smile.gif

#15 Guest_Guest_John_*_*

Guest_Guest_John_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:17 AM

I saw As You Like It on Saturday and loved it.  As with his Twelfth Night at the Donmar Mendes is not afraid to emphasize the darkness in the opening half and to trust the play (there is no straining for comedy, though there are laughs).  The usual Mendes virtues are there:  clarity, intelligence, wit, stylishness, superb acting.  The cast are uniformly excellent, and I was delighted to encounter some first-rate young actors I had not met before:  Edward Bennett and Juliet Rylance in particular.  As with last year's plays the mix of British and American actors works perfectly.  I think I preferred it to The Winter's Tale and The Cherry Orchard (and that is saying a lot for me as I am a big SRB fan).  I am really looking forward to seeing The Tempest next Saturday.

It is a play I have been lucky with:  the Michael Grandage, Declan Donellan and Geraldine McEwan (for Renaissance with Branagh as Touchstone)  productions I've seen before were all wonderful - this is in the same league.

#16 Guest_Guest_John_*_*

Guest_Guest_John_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:33 AM

Running time of As You Like It, just over three hours.  The Tempest 2 hours 20 according to the programme.

#17 Theatresquirrel

Theatresquirrel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:46 PM

I just saw it and am totally blissed out by an utterly wonderful production. It could just be the best thing I've seen at the Old Vic in the Spacey era. Guest_John is so right about the clarity. Never have Shakespeare's sexual tangles seemed so transparent.

As with both last year's Bridge shows, Mendes seems to be playing down the most obvious trademarks of the play - this time, the wit - in search of other resonances, although that's not to say it isn't really funny, especially the second half. But there is a sense of space and pause and wistfulness that I've not seen in this tale before. The songs are daintily magical, one of which leads us to the most exquisite and intimate ending to the first half. Even when the summer of the second half has come, that wintry climax still echoes deeply.

But then the sunshiney playfulness of what follows is irresistible. Loved the Dylanish country vibe that lingers from last year's Winter's Tale. Loved even more Juliet Rylance's boyishness (and fab suits) and her deep honeyed voice. I happily cried at her epilogue. The scenes between her and Christian Camargo and so gorgeous too: surely some of the best stuff Shakespeare ever wrote, beautifully, swooningly played. Stephen Dillane also spooked me with the 'All the world' speech, making it sound like he was truly concocting it afresh there and then. His Jaques is all the more potent for being so tentative and softly spoken.

But the best thing about this show isn't that is has a handful of great individual performances; it's a great ensemble in a way that I felt recent stuff like Women Beware Women wasn't quite. They really, really gel together, which I suppose is thanks to the journey they've taken with the play prior to London. Still, if only all ensembles were like this.

Only one tiny grumble was the naff wedding veils, after such thoughtful and textured costumes all the way through. Or is Mendes making a point about marriage, d'you wonder...?

I hoped this would be sunny, lovely, frivolous fun to usher along the summer: it's all that and lots more besides. It's all the seasons and all the shades of who we are. I can't recommend it enough.

#18 Guest_Guest_John_*_*

Guest_Guest_John_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:29 PM

The Tempest is 2 hours 15 without an interval.

This is another excellent production with superb performances and a particularly moving reconciliation scene.  I liked Dillane's quietly spoken (I'm glad I was in the third row) Prospero, but I imagine that it will be his interpretation of the role that divides critics.

I really can't wait for the announcement of next year's plays and I have to say I hope they'll be Shakespeares (despte rumours to the contrary):  my dream would be Measure for Measure and Antony and Cleopatra with Spacey as Angelo and Antony (and Fiona Shaw or Meryl Streep as Cleopatra!).

#19 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5139 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:23 PM

Ta for that heads up re no interval. We should be told!

#20 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE(Guest_John_* @ Jun 20 2010, 09:29 PM) View Post
The Tempest is 2 hours 15 without an interval.

This is another excellent production with superb performances and a particularly moving reconciliation scene.  I liked Dillane's quietly spoken (I'm glad I was in the third row) Prospero, but I imagine that it will be his interpretation of the role that divides critics.

I really can't wait for the announcement of next year's plays and I have to say I hope they'll be Shakespeares (despte rumours to the contrary):  my dream would be Measure for Measure and Antony and Cleopatra with Spacey as Angelo and Antony (and Fiona Shaw or Meryl Streep as Cleopatra!).

The next plays will be 2011 to allow Kevin Spacey to be in the company.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users