The Bridge Project

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 20 2010, 10:29 PM) View Post
The next plays will be 2011 to allow Kevin Spacey to be in the company.

Ooops! That should have said 2012 - i.e. no Bridge Project next year.

#22 Guest_Guest_John_*_*

Guest_Guest_John_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 20 2010, 10:31 PM) View Post
Ooops! That should have said 2012 - i.e. no Bridge Project next year.

Interesting.  That makes 2012 an amazingly busy year for Mendes given that he is doing Lear at the NT with SRB.  Perhaps that is later in the year?  Out of interest, where do you have that information from?

#23 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE(Guest_John_* @ Jun 20 2010, 10:43 PM) View Post
Interesting.  That makes 2012 an amazingly busy year for Mendes given that he is doing Lear at the NT with SRB.  Perhaps that is later in the year?  Out of interest, where do you have that information from?

Interview Spacey did for CNN:

After his Chinese experience he'll be focusing on film until 2012 when he will then lead The Bridge Project, a transatlantic theatrical production company comprised of The Old Vic in London and Brooklyn Academy of Music in New York.

#24 Guest_Guest_John_*_*

Guest_Guest_John_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 20 2010, 11:02 PM) View Post
Interview Spacey did for CNN:

After his Chinese experience he'll be focusing on film until 2012 when he will then lead The Bridge Project, a transatlantic theatrical production company comprised of The Old Vic in London and Brooklyn Academy of Music in New York.

What does the Chinese experience refer to?

Spacey has appeared in about 20 films since American Beauty; I am a film fan but haven't had the slightest desire to see any of them.  I suppose they pay the rent, but I can't help wishing he were doing more great theatre instead of second-rate films.  It's good to have Mendes back in the theatre.  I'd like to see more of Branagh after his fantastic Ivanov.

#25 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1777 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:36 AM

"That makes 2012 an amazingly busy year for Mendes given that he is doing Lear at the NT with SRB. Perhaps that is later in the year? Out of interest, where do you have that information from?"

Remember the Bridge plays open in NYC the winter before they arrive at the Old Vic. If they're skipping one year, then they will open in NYC in Feb 2012 and Mendes will be more or less finished with them by then..

#26 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE(Guest_John_* @ Jun 21 2010, 08:51 AM) View Post
What does the Chinese experience refer to?

Spacey has appeared in about 20 films since American Beauty; I am a film fan but haven't had the slightest desire to see any of them.  I suppose they pay the rent, but I can't help wishing he were doing more great theatre instead of second-rate films.  It's good to have Mendes back in the theatre.  I'd like to see more of Branagh after his fantastic Ivanov.

"Hollywood actor Kevin Spacey has agreed to star in a new Chinese movie. The American Beauty actor has signed up to take one of the lead roles in director Dayyan Eng's black comedy Inseparable, which will be shot in both Mandarin and English, reports variety.com. Shooting for the film, about a troubled young man who befriends a mysterious American ex-pat, is scheduled to begin in southern China began earlier in the year - it is now in post-production"

Thankfully for us theatre fans there is a great big film fan base out there for him so that he can afford to do what he does on stage and as AD for the Old Vic pretty much for free.

#27 Snout

Snout

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:08 PM

I found Prospero awfully hard to hear. Did anyone else have this problem?

#28 Guest_Guest_John_*_*

Guest_Guest_John_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE(Snout @ Jun 23 2010, 09:08 PM) View Post
I found Prospero awfully hard to hear. Did anyone else have this problem?

I didn't because I was in the third row of the stalls, but I wouldn't have liked to have been much further back.  It is a perennial problem with Dillane.  A friend of mine went to see The Real Thing when it had transferred to the West End and members of the audience actually called out 'Speak up!' to him.  Thank goodness the next thing he is in is at the Almeida.

#29 Guest_shakespeare fan_*

Guest_shakespeare fan_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE(Guest_John_* @ Jun 23 2010, 09:56 PM) View Post
I didn't because I was in the third row of the stalls, but I wouldn't have liked to have been much further back.  It is a perennial problem with Dillane.  A friend of mine went to see The Real Thing when it had transferred to the West End and members of the audience actually called out 'Speak up!' to him.  Thank goodness the next thing he is in is at the Almeida.

i could hardly hear him from the back and had to move closer during the interval to an empty seat up front

#30 Guest_Guest_John_*_*

Guest_Guest_John_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE(shakespeare fan @ Jun 24 2010, 02:04 PM) View Post
i could hardly hear him from the back and had to move closer during the interval to an empty seat up front

Several reviewers have commented on this (vocally-underpowered is the euphemism).  None of the ones I've read have liked The Tempest much (primarily because of him).   All have liked As You Like It.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users