Ship of Fools at 503

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#11 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:18 PM

I got as far as the bit about sitting in a converted ship.  Yikes I feel self conscious just thinking about it.  Not one for me I'm afraid.  unsure.gif

#12 Guest_j_*

Guest_j_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE(Skylight @ Feb 25 2007, 10:18 PM) View Post
I got as far as the bit about sitting in a converted ship.  Yikes I feel self conscious just thinking about it.  Not one for me I'm afraid.  unsure.gif

i know exactly what you mean, skylight. and when i heard this i thought it sounded a bit try-hard, but having seen it last night it's very easy to just sit and watch the show. although there is seating in the round, the majority of the seats are in the main raked bank of the auditorium, and i was happily anonymous on the fifth row where noone could see me at all.

and what a design. the designer has done something beautiful by converting that small room into an evocative ship. and i was gripped for pretty much the whole show (i have the attention span of a small fish). andrew buchan was as dreamy as i thought... acvtually, the acting is uniformly excellent. one of the performances didn't do much for me, but the other five are corking. woth putting the seating scepticism aside i think.

#13 Scal

Scal

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:36 AM

I think Ship of Fools sounds *amazing*.  The design has made me want to go and watch it even more.  It sounds like they've done an awesome job at 503.  Skylight you should give it a try!!!  You can always wear a scarf and hide behind that if you're really shy! wink.gif

#14 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:45 PM

Not shy - but I did go to uni with one of the new artistic directors. rolleyes.gif

#15 Guest_aston_*

Guest_aston_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE(Skylight @ Feb 26 2007, 03:45 PM) View Post
Not shy - but I did go to uni with one of the new artistic directors. rolleyes.gif

me too! which one?

vested interest, i know, as i'm mates with one of the guys who runs the building, but that's one very good show they have there. could be ten mins shorter, but it's worth it for that calibre acting and the astounding design.

#16 Guest_Alexandra_*

Guest_Alexandra_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:49 AM

Sounds very Knee High Faustian. Quite soon all our theatres will be ships, castles, forests, etc.  sad.gif

#17 Guest_Guest_Skylight_*_*

Guest_Guest_Skylight_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE(aston @ Mar 1 2007, 09:11 AM) View Post
me too! which one? <snip>

(To avoid my praise of rock n roll being tainted by speculations of nepotism!) - Tim.

#18 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Mar 1 2007, 09:49 AM) View Post
Sounds very Knee High Faustian. Quite soon all our theatres will be ships, castles, forests, etc.  sad.gif

Nah, don't worry. They won't.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#19 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE(j @ Feb 26 2007, 12:09 AM) View Post
i know exactly what you mean, skylight. and when i heard this i thought it sounded a bit try-hard, but having seen it last night it's very easy to just sit and watch the show. although there is seating in the round, the majority of the seats are in the main raked bank of the auditorium, and i was happily anonymous on the fifth row where noone could see me at all.

I read the blog but I don't see what's being discussed here, regarding the seating and being seen etc. Okay some of the audience seating is part of the ship interior set, I get that. Is it like Sing Yer Heart out when it was staged in the Cottesloe? Some of the audience seating was at pub tables in the pub set. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#20 plutoanddragons

plutoanddragons

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE(j @ Feb 15 2007, 12:53 PM) View Post
nope, i'm an accountant.
but i do have a slight tingle when i see andrew buchan.

I can so sympathize biggrin.gif biggrin.gif. I can't get to this, which is a shame as it sounds really interesting, so thanks for the pictures on your blog rashbre rashbre.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users