#5031 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:48 PM

View Postdjp, on 25 June 2012 - 02:03 AM, said:

Sam's already back in Oliver. Its going to be interesting to see what bigger acting /singing role,  comes her way next after Eponine and Nancy .I will give Michelle a go,  but Sam would have been high on my list for Cabaret - I missed her last time. I agree I can't see a shortage of potential Elphabas. There's been a run of very strong Scaramouche's recently (with the power, acting skill and comedy timing) and I would think Sabrina or Lauren or Amanda could play Elphaba well at some point and there's probably other possibilities too . I can't find the others singing from Wicked on the net,  but Lauren has sung Popular on TV and For Good in a cabaret and she sounds great . Depends perhaps where you want to place Elphaba after Rachel. Niamh has got some beautiful material from some new musicals on youtube,  and I would love to see her in something too.

I just wish that  while they have someone very, very,  special in the role like Rachel (alongside Gina, who is also someone  special) they would actually do a cast recording and preserve it for posterity.

Ahh I didn't know she was back in Oliver, I'll have to try and get to it now.  She was fabulous in Cabaret, I wanted her to do the London run too.

Back on Wicked, if I was going to pick anyone who's recently done WWRY to be an Elphaba it'd be Rachel John - her voice is beautiful and definitely powerful enough, and I'd love to see her in the role someday.

View PostDanielWhit, on 25 June 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

She's the only consistent one because she's mentioned it as a role a few times in the past, IIRC. I seem to remember on twitter her and Gina saying how good it'd be to perform against each other as Elphaba/Glinda. Fan crowds picked that up and now there's an underlying feel of hype about trying to get Sabrina into the show (only helped by Gina being Glinda currently).

I had no idea she'd mentioned it as a role in the past, but she'd be my first choice and has been over the past couple of years when it hasn't been clear whether Rachel would leave or not, so I think it's unfair to suggest that she's created all the hype around her.  She's my first choice for Elphaba because I thought she was brilliant when I saw her in WWRY and would love to see her in Wicked.

View Postcat123, on 25 June 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

I like Sabrina, but I'm not entirely sure how good she'd be as Elphaba. I love her to prove me wrong. But she can't be the only person people wanna see. I have a couple of names in mind who I'd love in the role!

And they would be who?  If people want to discuss alternatives to Sabrina, it would be helpful to post names...

#5032 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:55 PM

View Postposter J, on 25 June 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

Ahh I didn't know she was back in Oliver, I'll have to try and get to it now.  She was fabulous in Cabaret, I wanted her to do the London run too.

Back on Wicked, if I was going to pick anyone who's recently done WWRY to be an Elphaba it'd be Rachel John - her voice is beautiful and definitely powerful enough, and I'd love to see her in the role someday.

I had no idea she'd mentioned it as a role in the past, but she'd be my first choice and has been over the past couple of years when it hasn't been clear whether Rachel would leave or not, so I think it's unfair to suggest that she's created all the hype around her.  She's my first choice for Elphaba because I thought she was brilliant when I saw her in WWRY and would love to see her in Wicked.

And they would be who?  If people want to discuss alternatives to Sabrina, it would be helpful to post names...

Sam went back for the end of  Edinburgh . They have had the (a)  wrap party for Les Mis - but its not clear who  is doing the next stop(s) on the tour. Wiki says Cat but who knows. Sam and Cat Simmons who played Nancy while Sam was away are both on twitter so there may be clues there.

#5033 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

View PostDanielWhit, on 25 June 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

She's the only consistent one because she's mentioned it as a role a few times in the past, IIRC. I seem to remember on twitter her and Gina saying how good it'd be to perform against each other as Elphaba/Glinda. Fan crowds picked that up and now there's an underlying feel of hype about trying to get Sabrina into the show (only helped by Gina being Glinda currently). There's no new information at the moment, just old stories/suggestions/rumours being dredged up.

I don't think that to the wider public Sabrina's name means anything though, Wicked have been known recently to start casting with names in mind rather than talent - however who knows what they will do. And there is that ever-in-the-background rumour of a 2013 tour...

I don't think they have cast names as Elphaba,  or could do so - its one of the the biggest, most difficult female roles around. It could be like casting Cheryl Cole as Christine. Fiyero,  though, lends himself to  a name in much the same way as Warner in LB or Billy in Chicago do. You want someone who looks like a celebrity, gets a reaction from the audience on  first sight ,  and sings well enough, so why not get that and a few fans and publicity too. Even then, they have put people with singing backgrounds in the  role. Rachel and Louise had already been successful doing Wicked at Jestend, and Rachel came off playing  Meat and Scaramouche - its not a name issue at all. I think the  success of the actors from the ALW shows has a lot more to do with those shows success in identifying  a lot of  the really good people around  who auditioned -  rather than any name status they gathered.

I  would  imagine that Scaramouche's would feature highly in any consideration for Elphaba because its one of the few female roles  of similar scale and the requirements are pretty similar. The question is how different or similar  do you want the next Elphaba to be, if there is to be a new one, and how  the vocal demands shape your options? .

#5034 Moley

Moley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Gigs, Travelling

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

I don't expect it to happen but would love to see Ashleigh Gray coming back to be Elphaba.  Really liked her when I saw her as Standby.

#5035 Musicals1248

Musicals1248

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

I would love that too, I never got to see her in the role but saw her singing Defying Gravity at the Dress circle Benefit last year and she was amazing.

#5036 vintage-heart

vintage-heart

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

Ashleigh Grey decorated a tote bag for charity which is currently being sold on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c28b2819e

#5037 I Like West End

I Like West End

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

While I think Sabrina Aloueche would be a good Elphaba I think someone who has been overlooked is Lauren Varnham. She is currently 1st understudy Scaramouche & Meat in We Will Rock You and has recently been performing Scaramouche 8 times a week which is more than the principle Scaramouche does. Her voice is incredibly strong and she performs as if she is a leading lady – she has the charisma that some actors’ lack which means every second she is on stage you cannot take your eyes off of her. I really think she deserves this role! I would also not rule Lauren Samuels out, listening to her sing on The In-Between Concept album and at West End Live she actually has a very powerful voice - more powerful than you think! She would be so fresh and a complete contrast to Rachel and I would love to see a completely new take on Elphaba.

It’s funny, We Will Rock You has almost turned into a breeding pond for creating the most incredible Elphaba’s!

Also I am a bit confused about the current Elphaba Understudy situation – I have noticed Michelle Pentecost has had a few shows and performed at Cardinal Place for the WestendLive Preview.  Has she now taken over from Gemma as first understudy Elphaba meaning Gemma has been demoted during her contract?

Finally I am next seeing the show on the evening of Wednesday 11th July. Does anyone know if any understudies will be on?  I understand that as they will be in-between Wizards that Christopher Howell be on as The Wizard.

Thank you, I always love reading this thread but have never plucked up the courage to post until now! I am a great lover of Wicked – not quite sure what I would do without it! I just wish they would bring out a live London cast album before Rachel leaves as I don’t feel that the original one fully captures the energy of when you actually see the show!

#5038 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

It's funny that Lauren Samuels has cropped up as a possibility in this thread. When se and Danielle Hope sang 'Popular' on Over The Rainbow, it was one of my highlights of the series. I wondered back then if she would make a good Elphaba but I wasn't sure she had the power in her voice. That was until I saw her as Scaramouche and thought she was terrific. I'd quite like to see her take it on!

#5039 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

Lauren Varnham is a great Scaramouche, I was impressed when I saw her last year.  But I'm not sure I see her as an Elphaba yet, I think she needs a little bit longer in another leading West End role before she'd be a contender - I'm not sure how powerful her voice is on an 8 shows a week basis as when I saw her it was the first show she'd had in a while.  I think I'd put her in the same category as Lauren Samuels and Sam Barks in my mind - future Elphaba but not just yet.

#5040 munchkinmania

munchkinmania

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

You shouldnt always believe what is supposed to have been said at stage door. But just read that Rachel  stated she is leaving in october. Not exactly news.  Also allegedly said "I may be green very soon again."  If this is true it may not be the obvious thought or could just be a wind up.  May not be even Wicked related.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users