#5701 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

View PostTR252, on 12 October 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

I wonder what it feels like to be part of the audience if you don't follow the show as much as we do and you're watching a cast change night without knowing? It must be pretty surreal with all the cheering!

Having been through that experience with a couple of other shows, I can say that it's not surreal. You know what's going on. What it is, is annoying as all hell. You end up in a state of dreadful anticipation, knowing that no matter how much you wish it they won't have got it out of their systems and it's only going to get worse at the evening goes on. It's intensely irritating to have someone shrieking at full volume a few seats away, trying to outdo everyone else in the delusional belief that others are going to be impressed with how much they love the show.

I know what it's like to love a show - there are twelve shows I've seen more than twenty times - but I also know that nobody wants me to spoil their enjoyment of the performance by trying to show off.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#5702 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

View Postisabel, on 12 October 2012 - 11:33 PM, said:

I was in row C Stalls for Louise's final night and like you was surrounded by fans screaming at everything.

I'm actually in row B Stalls for Rachel's final show - really hoping i'll have some 'normal' people around me !

Looks like the new Glinda Standby (don't know her name) has a show on the 1st November.
I've got  row b, the other end to Isabel. Getting slightly concerned, as I was hoping to actually hear the songs! Anyway, still excited.

#5703 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1090 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

View Poststevepearman, on 13 October 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

I've got  row b, the other end to Isabel. Getting slightly concerned, as I was hoping to actually hear the songs! Anyway, still excited.

People keep saying it'll be like Kerry Ellis's final night - heard that was a nightmare with all the screaming that went on !

But yeah i'm still SO excited - as long as the front row don't annoy me too much ( wishful thinking i think)

The muckup matinee should be good fun :)

#5704 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1016 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

View Postisabel, on 13 October 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

People keep saying it'll be like Kerry Ellis's final night - heard that was a nightmare with all the screaming that went on !

Youtube videos of that night are full of screaming, it's impossible to hear what was being sung at points!  And yeah, I reckon the front row will be annoying fangirls as they're probably the only people willing to camp for daytickets!  But maybe some of them have grown up since Kerry left...

I'm starting to feel happier about not making cast change, at least the last time I saw Rachel I was front row, it was a good audience, and the only screaming was the cheers she got at the end of songs!

#5705 Musicals1248

Musicals1248

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

I was at both Kerry's final night and Louise's last night and, personally, I coped with the extra cheering. I was sat a bit further back in the stalls (and am too for Rachel's last) so I don't know if that makes a difference as like someone said, all the 'hardcore' fans are normally in the first few rows. The only bit that annoyed me at Louise's last was the noise when Rachel rose in Defying Gravity, but apart from that I felt I could hear all hers and Louise's notes. People will always cheer for Glinda's and Elphaba's entrances extra loudly too but that's not cheering over somebody talking so I find that fine. Kerry's final night definitely wasn't a 'nightmare' (though I heard her final night before Broadway was-wasn't at that one myself), and recordings often pick up the screaming quite badly compared to the singing, as of course the recording device is most likely nearer to all the people screaming than it is to the people on stage! But when I've actually been there I've still managed to hear the performers.

So for this cast change I am preparing myself for the Defying Gravity bit again but not too worried about the rest of the show :) Though Rachel does do 'so if you care to find me etc' sublimely so would be nice to hear it lol!

#5706 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

View Postposter J, on 13 October 2012 - 08:22 AM, said:

And yeah, I reckon the front row will be annoying fangirls as they're probably the only people willing to camp for daytickets!  But maybe some of them have grown up since Kerry left...

You seem to forget that as one batch grow out of the production, another group of similar aged fans tune in to it. I suspect there will be very few people who were there in 2009 as there will be in 2012's cast change, however that's not to say the 2012 crowd will be any different overall in terms of attitude/volume/intensity.

#5707 CaityGlinda

CaityGlinda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

Has anyone heard this song by Mika?

It reminds me of something...
[West End] Wicked x7 . The Phantom Of The Opera x4 . Les Miserables x4 . Oliver! x3 .The Lion King x2 . We Will Rock You x2 . Sister Act x2 . Blood Brothers x2 . Hair x2 . War Horse x2 . Love Never Dies . Jersey Boys . Avenue Q . Hairspray . The 39 Steps . Legally Blonde . Mamma Mia! . Deathtrap . The Wizard of Oz . Ghost the Musical . Billy Elliot . Singin' In The Rain . Top Hat . Sweeney Todd . Matilda . Loserville .
[Broadway]  Next to Normal . Wicked . Anything Goes . End of the Rainbow .
[UK Tour]  West Side Story (Salford) . Joseph (Sheffield) . Oklahoma! (Sheffield) . Blood Brothers (Sheffield) . Avenue Q (Sheffield) . Jekyll and Hyde (Sheffield) . Tell Me On A Sunday (Sheffield) . Journey's End (Sheffield) . The Phantom Of The Opera (Leeds) .
[Regional] Hamlet (Sheffield Crucible) . Othello (Sheffield Crucible) . Company (Sheffield Crucible) . My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible) . Oliver (Sheffield Crucible)

#5708 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

Lol. That was a surprise.

#5709 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

Wow, that was AMAZING!

#5710 outofcontrol

outofcontrol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

Does anyone know if Louise will be definitely be performing on 23rd November? I will be in London then and am planning on seeing the show. There doesn't seem to be any details of holiday dates for new cast releases yet so I was just checking if anyone knows?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users