How's Louise Plowright as Morrible?

#5912 Mallow

Mallow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:50 PM

I loved her Morrible, massive improvement on Julie. It makes such a difference having someone sing the role!

#5913 tsxmitw

tsxmitw

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:55 PM

Thanks for all the reviews guys! Glad to hear Louise say all the big numbers 'straight :)

#5914 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:55 PM

Ben is definitely an improvement from Matt, only thing that bugged me was he seemed to drift into an American accent every now and again, but he can sing, act and dance.

Katie was just a perfect Nessa, she's the best Nessa since herself.

Sam's Boq was good, he fluffed up one of his lines in 'March of the Witch Hunters' he started early then stuttered a bit until the music caught up with him, but he was a cute Boq...not Adam cute, but cute nonetheless.

Louise Plowright, was a good Morrible, wasn't as Pantomimey as Julie, she was more refined and toned down, and seemed quite evil when she needed to be. She also messed up a line, she said 'if you you do much for him, he'll do the same for you', first time audience members probably wouldn't have noticed though.

No Good Deed was quite good, I've seen a few people worrying about that...not as fierce as it could have been but I liked it...the end note was perfection to the ears.
LONDON
[2004] Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010] Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011] Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013] The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#5915 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1090 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:07 AM

Louise did well for her first show as Elphaba. I loved her acting and i agree her voice isn't as strong as Rachel's

SO pleased Gina has stayed on - she was FANTASTIC tonight

Before the show i saw Elphaba Standby Hayley, and she looks just SO young and it tiny. She looks like she'll make such a cute Elphaba.

#5916 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:27 AM

Ok, so he goes my view, and I am going to try and keep comparisons to Rachel to a minimum, as it would've taken so much to live up to her, but she may be used as an example now and then.

New Ensemble - Brilliant, lovely to see the show with so much new energy which you can only get from such a major cast change.

Katie Rowley Jones - Very Good, prefer her to Lillie Flynn, although I did think Lillie was very good on saturday, and actually think she will be an excellent understudy elphie.

Sam Lupton - LOVED his boq, my favourite boq I have seen, as I felt he was vocally better than Adam, but still got the cute munchkininess over! And I will forgive him for his brief slip up.

Louise Plowright - I thought she was good, but I think that Julie Legrand had got the acting spot on, at times I didn't feel she was quite condescending and angry enough, but could easily improve!

Ben Freeman - Massive improvement over Matt Willis in my opinion. He played the part as less of a bad ass, and more of the too school for cool guy. Vocally I felt he could do with a bit of work, may be down to first night nerves, but if his voice doesn't get bigger I think just cranking his mic up a bit would have helped!

Gina Beck - OK, not new I will admit, but she gets better everytime, I felt that i preferred her performance to saturday, as she bounced off the cast really well, coming across 'younger' in Act 1

Louise Dearman - In a word, Fabulous. She has ALOT of work to do, and I feel in a few months she will be great but I only have this performance to go by... TWAI i thought was good, but I was waiting to be blown away by the belts at the end, and... I just wasn't... INTG was perfect though, I thought from hearing her do the reprise before as Glinda it might be, but it was just beautiful, making the most of a song, which although I love, I feel isn't usually a stand out moment! Defying Gravity was excellent, her Bring Me Downs were absolutely perfect, she did miss or at least strain ALOT on the high F, and her end belt was good, but a tad anti-climactic after 3 years of the Tucker Growl. But, I said it in the interval and how right I was, No good deed is where she came into her own. Her 'Fiyero' was as good as Tuckers (Non riffed verion) and her end note was the one note in the show that gave me shivers (I think I was looking too technically and critically to connect on the same level I did on saturday). Overall, very good, there is room for improvement, but there always was going to be on her first night!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#5917 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:37 AM

Oh and also, correct me if I'm wrong, but are Hayley and Lucy (new standbys) in the ensemble as well? As in the programme it has them listed in the Citezens of Oz section!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#5918 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:44 AM

I'm hearing alot of you guys saying that Louise Dearman strained/ played it safe etc... She has EIGHT shows to do this week. And then next week and so on for a year! She obviously needs to take it slow and be very cautious till she's broken into those songs. I think once she has done, she'll be riffing, growling, belting with ease etc, i reckon so anyway.

#5919 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1090 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

Defying Gravity has already been posted on You Tube

#5920 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1016 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

View Postharveyjnr, on 30 October 2012 - 02:44 AM, said:

I'm hearing alot of you guys saying that Louise Dearman strained/ played it safe etc... She has EIGHT shows to do this week. And then next week and so on for a year! She obviously needs to take it slow and be very cautious till she's broken into those songs. I think once she has done, she'll be riffing, growling, belting with ease etc, i reckon so anyway.

The thing is though, why should she have to riff/growl/belt a lot?  Just because Kerry and Rachel both did?  I love both of them, but if Louise doesn't want to do that then that's fine by me, it's up to her to decide how to play her Elphaba, not what the fans want her to - the score doesn't have riffs in it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users