7950 replies to this topic

#5921 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

Also the WAI has been posted ! Can't wait to see Louise ina few months to see how she's settled into the role :)

#5922 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

View Postisabel, on 30 October 2012 - 08:10 AM, said:

Also the WAI has been posted ! Can't wait to see Louise ina few months to see how she's settled into the role :)

She does sound a little strained at parts but I guess her voice is tired from rehearsals etc. I am sure she'll improve with time and experience. She was an excellent Glinda.

#5923 acapella

acapella

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

View Postharveyjnr, on 30 October 2012 - 02:44 AM, said:

I'm hearing alot of you guys saying that Louise Dearman strained/ played it safe etc... She has EIGHT shows to do this week. And then next week and so on for a year! She obviously needs to take it slow and be very cautious till she's broken into those songs. I think once she has done, she'll be riffing, growling, belting with ease etc, i reckon so anyway.

I totally agree that I would never expect her to riff on her first performance, and would probably think it a little over confident if she did.

However, in terms of the belts, they are part of the score. There's no denying that she can belt, particularly in the lower register, but to me she doesn't have a Tucker-style natural ability when it comes to those high belts. I was reminded of Idina Menzel in some places, and not always in a good way. That said, it was far from painful on the ears - I guess more just worrying for her long term voice prospects, and I admit I found it hard not to compare with Tucker who always made those notes sound so easy.

I guess she could settle into the role and all that could change, but I suspect that her actual voice won't change that radically. If she wouldn't give her all on her first night, when would she? That said, it's not really that massive a problem as long as she is careful with her voice. Those parts which seem to trouble her only form a small part of the score, and I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will love her Elphaba regardless, new and long time fans alike.

#5924 lilly77

lilly77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

Louise's No Good Deed and ALAYM also now posted on You Tube

She sounds incredible! Can't wait to see her

ooh and For Good is there too.Wow.

#5925 Kristian

Kristian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

Out of curiosity has anyone heard Louise singing 'Lost in translations' from LIFT by Craig Adams? Quite a belt on that track...
Bradfordian Actor and Singer. Birmingham Conservatoire and Central School of Speech and Drama Graduate.
Tweeting @justwannajive

WEST END: Wicked X2 | Legally Blonde X2 | Lion King X1 | Cats X1 | Starlight Express X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Oliver X1 | Woman in Black X1 | Phantom of the Opera X2 | Rock of Ages X1 | Shrek X1 | Sister Act X1 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Cabaret X1 | Street Scene X1 | La Fille a la Mode (Haymarket) X1 |

FRINGE: The Glorious Ones | The House of Bernarda Alba (LaChiusa) | Daybreak | After The Turn | RENT | Pippin | Floyd Collins | The Man On Her Mind | Marguerite | Taboo |

ON TOUR: Jekyll and Hyde X1 | Starlight Express X1 | Cabaret X1| Phantom of the Opera X1 | Les Miserables X1 | Phantom on Ice X1 | Miss Saigon X1 | Whistle Down the Wind X1 | Oliver X1 | Chess X1 | Grease X1 | Summer Holiday X1 | Annie X1 | Cats X1 | Of Thee I Sing X1 |

RSC: Much Ado About Nothing X1 |

#5926 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

View Postacapella, on 30 October 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

I guess she could settle into the role and all that could change, but I suspect that her actual voice won't change that radically. If she wouldn't give her all on her first night, when would she?

The simple answer being "when her voice settles" - after four weeks of almost solid rehearsals none of the principals are going to be on top form vocally, plus at the moment with the understudies still being rehearsed I suspect everyone is playing it safe. At this stage in any role, an actor will be trying to find the character much more so than trying to develop a new riff which will be compared instantly to everyone else. Vocal acrobatics can come later, for now, let everyone settle.

PS - this is not directed at acapella specifically at all, however it was a well worded question to answer and cover a couple of points :-)

#5927 acapella

acapella

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

I take your point DanielWhit (although I'm not sure that 8 shows a week will represent a big step down from the rehearsal schedule), but I wasn't actually referring to her riffing. I fully expect that she will riff more as she settles, although for me personally riffing isn't something I really look for in a performance. I actually meant the tonal quality of her belts in the higher register - to me there is a fundamental difference in the tone of her belt versus that of Rachel Tucker and I wouldn't have thought that will change. As I say, it doesn't prevent her from being a fine Elphaba in her own way, but personally I can't see myself going back time and again to see her as I did with Tucker.

#5928 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

Yeah, having now listen to recordings from last night - she did have a very unusual (to my ears) tone when going for the higher notes, didn't sound terribly comfortable. Audience dutifully screamed the place down, mind.

At the end of the day, the good thing about any production such as Wicked is it allows all actors in these big roles the chance to do something completely different to their predecessors. I suspect Louise actively does not want to do anything like Rachel did character wise as Elphaba (though after acting opposite her for the best part of two years, that is probably harder than it sounds to escape from), but we'll see how she settles. Until they hit media night they are effectively in their preview period :).

#5929 lesterf

lesterf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

do we know yet what shows Louise will miss each week ? Rachel was weds ( usually matinee ) is there any word yet which day(s) Louise is likely to be off ?

#5930 Musicals1248

Musicals1248

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

She should be contracted to all 8, Rachel only began missing shows in the last few months, and for personal reasons I think!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users