#6131 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostFireFingers, on 09 February 2013 - 01:52 AM, said:

Yeah... it doesn't. It will be here for a few years, I'm with you there, but it hasn't sold out in a long time bar cast changes. 50ish available for each of today's shows, 100+ for Monday.

It doesn't need to sell out though, it's still making shedloads of money.  Whether something is a sell-out or not is no indication whatsoever of its viability.  Plus it doesn't always sell out on Broadway either.

Wicked now sells on word of mouth and the name alone, and it's not the first time it's extended for this length of time.  So I personally don't think the tour will affect sales that much, it's still filling a decent proportion of one of the largest theatres in the West End 8 times a week.  It hasn't sold out regularly in years - I think I've only attended a sell-out performance once and I first saw it in 2007 - but it's still there, and it will be for a few years yet.  I imagine they won't even start properly considering closure until it's reached 10 years.  And then we might just have a WWRY situation of announcing closure and changing their minds if demand surges.  The tour will probably be over by then as well.

Hardly anything truly sells out in London at the minute - Les Mis sometimes off the back of the movie and Book of Mormon off the hype of it opening.  Even the Lion King had some empty seats when I saw it recently.  It gives completely the wrong impression to focus on whether something sells out or not, even without considering the difference in theatre sizes.

#6132 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

I think this extension is probably to get some more sales from people travelling long distances to see the show before they announce any more tour dates, definitely can't see this closing any time too soon though!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#6133 westover

westover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

Hi everybody, I'm new to the board. Can anyone advise what day-seating is like on an ordinary week day at the moment? Thanks

#6134 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

View Postwestover, on 10 February 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

Hi everybody, I'm new to the board. Can anyone advise what day-seating is like on an ordinary week day at the moment? Thanks

Haven't day seated on a weekday for a long time, but when I last did in late 2011on a Wed (2 shows) you would have got a ticket if you'd turned up at 9.30.

I day seated on a Saturday a few weeks before last cast change, arrived at 8.20 and was about 12th in the queue, but got tickets easily.  Anyone who turned up before 8.50-9 would probably have got a ticket depending on which show they wanted.

Hopefully someone will be able to give you a bit more current advice than that though.  The advice is always the earlier the better, but you definitely don't need to be there at 6am, 7.45-8am should be fine :)

#6135 westover

westover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

Ah, That sounds promising! Thanks for a speedy reply :)

#6136 smithers

smithers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, music, politics

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

View PostTettekete, on 08 February 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

Yay! :D

Did anyone see Michelle as Elphaba last night? :)

Yes, I did. Thought she was great!

#6137 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

@smithers Good! :D I'm hoping to catch a Michelphaba show at some point. :)

On another note, I just want to say how excited I am that Willemijn Verkaik is making her Broadway debut in Wicked tomorrow. Still going strong as one of the best Elphabas after almost 6 years! I'd love to see her in the West End production at some point. :)
Seen (theatre): Once (London x 2), Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 22), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

#6138 coddy92

coddy92

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

It is exciting! Looking forward to hearing some clips of her in the near future! :D Related to this, how do you actually pronounce Willemijn?

Also, I notice on the site again that ATG are going to be a main ticket provider from November 4th...interesting stuff! ;) I wonder why they left it so late seeing as the AV is an ATG theatre anyway?

#6139 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

View Postcoddy92, on 12 February 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

It is exciting! Looking forward to hearing some clips of her in the near future! :D Related to this, how do you actually pronounce Willemijn?

Pronounced: vil-lə-MIEN :)

#6140 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

I am going to New York to see her at easter, BEYOND excited! :P
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users