#6171 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

View Poststevepearman, on 17 February 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

Think Gina has great timing now as Glinda. Really lover her in that role. I also believe those who thought Rachel was the best ever Elphie are struggling to enjoy the show without her. The theatre has been very full most nights this past week.

I think Rachel was absolutely brilliant as Elphaba, I really do. And I believe that in long running shows, you must do everything you can to bring in stronger leads at cast change. Wicked has done reasonably well with this over the years, and I think Rachel was the best Elphaba since Kerry. I'm not entirely convinced with Louise, but Rachel was always going to be a hard act to follow.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#6172 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

Really the movie shouldn't have an influence on the stage show, but of course it did!

#6173 Musicals1248

Musicals1248

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

I have to say I think the buzz amongst theatre fans for Wicked has gone down since Rachel left, however this really doesn't affect the show when considering the size of the theatre. I've always said the majority of the audience each night are there to see Wicked and not a particular performer. I wanted Les Mis (based on the show, not the hype of the film) or Matilda to win tonight, as I do think Wicked has had its fair share of awards!

Oh, and if anyone had to win best takeover for Valjean, I'd rather it have been Geronimo (just sayin.. :blink: )

#6174 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

I like Louise, but Rachel is still my favourite London Elphaba and I was worried that after cast change I wouldn't have the same enthusiasm for seeing the show again and again without her being there. However, I have a huge love for Gina's Glinda now, and I'm always happy to see Wicked for the show as a whole because I just love it. The music, the ensemble, the songs (no matter who's singing them). It'd only be a bonus if I get to see Hayley the next time I see the show! :)
Seen (theatre): Once (London x 2), Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 22), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

#6175 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

Yes, that's my feeling too. But I saw Hayley and she sure is good! Current cast is excellent. I will be going again in the not too distant future.

#6176 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

I'm going tomorrow matinee and Lucy Van Gasse is scheduled to be on as Glinda. Is she any good? I have seen Gina a few times so not too worried to be missing her.

#6177 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

I've seen Lucy twice and unfortunately didn't like her Glinda that much. Thought she was missing a bit of the comedic talent in the first act and that her singing was not as good as Gina's
"If you want to get the girl of your dreams, all you gotta do is change your personality beyond recognition and wear lots of tight leather apparel." - Rydell High School, School Motto.

#6178 BGLowe

BGLowe

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

I really enjoyed when I saw Lucy, but I haven't seen Gina so can't compare! (I also wasn't blown away by Hayley as some were so maybe I just have different taste!)
London:
A Chorus Line x1| Avenue Q x1| Bad Girls x1| Blood Brothers x1| Cabaret x2| Carousel x4| Chicago x2| From Here to Eternity x1 | Ghost x1| Legally Blonde x1| Les Miserables x3| Little Shop of Horrors x1| Lost Boy x1 | Love Never Dies x2| Marguerite x1| Matilda x1| Once x2| One Man, Two Guvnors x1| Peter Pan x1| Rock of Ages x2| Sister Act x1| Spamalot x1| Stephen Ward x1| Sweeney Todd x1| Sweet Charity x1| The Book Of Mormon x1| The King And I x1| The Lion King x1| The Light Princess x1| The Phantom of the Opera x1| The Sound of Music x1| The West End Men x1 The Wizard of Oz x1| Urinetown x1| We Will Rock You x1| Whistle Down The Wind x2| Wicked x5|

Booked for: Carousel

National Tours:
Aspects of Love x1| Avenue Q x2| Birdsong x1| Blood Brothers x4| Chess x1| Evita x1| Fame x1| Footloose x1| Grease x1| Joseph and the Technicolour Dreamcoat x1| Legally Blonde x1| Oklahoma x1| Rocky Horror Show x1| Starlight Express x1| Tell Me on a Sunday x1| The History Boys x1| West Side Story x1| Whistle Down The Wind x2|

#6179 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

Ok thanks for the info. Will be nice to see someone new.

#6180 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

Well I saw the show today. Understudies on for Morrible and the Wizard, which also meant an understudy Dr Dilamond. As expected Lucy was Glinda. I'm afraid I'm not really a fan of Lucy's Glinda. She was too stern looking and her voice wasn't powerful enough. There were some notes that she hit that were great though and her second act was better than her first. Was my first time seeing Louise as Elphaba. I was impressed. Preferred her Glinda but she was very good. Her big belted bits aren't as good as the rest of her bits but still strong. After reading mostly bad things about Fiyero i was pleasantly surprised. Overall, felt the show seemed a bit tired. The audience (full ish house) were quiet and lots of "laughs" were met with silence. Surprised as it is half term so expected more buzz. If I go again, will wait until there is a new cast.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users